Daniel T.
Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

I have a Beko DE3431F dishwasher that has stopped operating

Customer Question

I have a Beko DE3431F dishwasher that has stopped operating (suspect a systems fault rather than hardware issue). When I press 'start/stop' the 'wash' light comes on but nothing happens apart from a clicking sound behind the door. It's done this before but self-corrected. Any ideas?
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.

Has it stopped working full of water?

If you restart a cycle if you listen very carefully at the bottom do you hear a humming noise from it?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No, it stopped as usual having completed the previous cycle, and is therefore not full of water. It's as if there is some kind of systems failure, rather like closing down a computer that then fails to boot up the next time you start it up.

It doesn't make any noise - or do anything at all - when I try to restart it. However if I press and hold the Start button for a period, the 'Wash' light will flash for a couple of minutes and go out, and then the 'End' light illuminates.

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.

Ok try this and see what happens.

Turn the dishwasher off.

Turn dial to program 1

Press and hold the start button and turn the dishwasher on.

Wait several seconds and then let go and press the start button once.

It should run a test cycle now so see what happens on this and let me know.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The 'Wash' light comes on, as does the small green light above the dial but nothing apart from that

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.

Ok what you can try is remove the front plastic control panel in the door and there you will see the door latch. Check the wires on there are fine and also check the small black plastic bar in the lock is pushed in. As when you close the door the latch pushes that black plastic bar down onto the microswitch to till it the door is closed and it can start the cycle going.

Check that out and see what you find and let me know.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

You access the front panel via the screws on the inside of the door - is that right?

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.

Yeap that's correct just remove them screws on the inside of the door and you should be able to access it from there.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Daniel - I've stripped the back of the door as you suggested. Wires seem to be fine and in place; I've checked the black plastic bar on the main body of the dishwasher, also the action of the spring-loaded plunger in the door; these seem to be fine.

I've tried operating the dishwasher with the plunger in both positions but it still isn't operating.

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.

Ok if the dishwasher isn't starting a cycle or a test wash as above and you the door latch is fine then im afraid you are looking at a faulty control board here.

What you can try first just in case is remove the outer door panel and there you will see the wiring in the door loom running down the door going to the under side. Inspect these wires and give them a good tug in the loom just in case you have a broken wire there which does happen on these.

But if the wiring harness is fine then its all pointing to the control board itself im afraid which do fail a lot on these as I have in the past replaced loads of them.

Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Daniel

As you suggested I opened up the door panel and found nothing wrong with the wiring. HOWEVER before I order a new control panel (should I get this direct from Beko? I found a small red object like a spindle loose inside the door. Could this have fallen off something and be the cause of the problem?

If I can get this thing fixed I'll send you a bonus!

Simon

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.

Ok as to the spindle you found ive just though have a look at the door latch. When you close the door the latch should switch over inside and push the microswitch to activate it.

Have a look at this and see if its doing it.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Any idea where I could get a diagram/photo to show where it should go?

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.

Ive had a search online for a picture but haven't found one.

To check if it is the door latch you can bypass the door switch but if you do this becarefull as the dishwasher will work with the door open.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

How would I bypass it, taping 2 wires together? Don't want to cause a short...

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.

Yes just join the 2 wires together on the latch unit to bypass it.

This is just a micro switch so wont short anything out as when its working and the door is closed it does the same thing as joining the wires together.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

You were right, by joining the 2 wires each side of the latch unit I got the dishwasher to work. Can you tell me where I could get a replacement Beko DE3431F latch unit? As I said, if you can help me thru the last stage of getting it working again I'll do the bonus thing

Simon

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.

Nice one glad to hear its just the lock.

Click here for the door lock

But from what I remember the micro switch doesn't come with the door lock. You need to remove the old switch and fit onto the new lock.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Guess I need to get both the micro switch and the door lock to make sure...

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.

Believe it or not the micro switch is more then the door latch.

Click here

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Daniel - I managed to work out the problem and fix it myself - a small spindle had come away from the door lock which meant that the microswitch wasn't being operated. So didn't have to get any parts in the end. Thanks for your help and yes I did give you a rating

Simon