Daniel T.
Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

I have a Matsui MC170GWFF frost free Fridge Freezer. The freezer

I have a Matsui MC170GWFF frost free Fridge Freezer. The freezer is working perfectly and I can feel the cold air blowing in. Unfortunately the fridge regardless of the thermostat setting remains around 14Centigrade. The door seals are fine, I've cleaned the back of dust and cobwebs to no avail. Not sure if this is relevant but there doesn't appear to be any air blowing into the fridge compartment. Any suggestions appreciated.
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.

Ok if you feel the compressor at the back is it hot to touch?

Does any part of the back wall inside the fridge feel cold?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi, yes the compressor is hot, and the back wall of the fridge is only very slightly cool, with a slight condensation in parts.

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.

Ok that's fine. Its only the freezer that's frost free on this model so the fridge section doesn't have cold air being blown into it from the freezer like other frost free appliances. This has what they call a wet wall which the back of the fridge ices over then melts away.

As the freezer is working but the fridge isn't then im afraid its not good news. Its going to be a system fault. Either its short of gas or more then likely a poor pumping compressor.

As it first pumps the gas around the freezer then it goes up to the fridge section. So if its a poor pumping compressor then it can just about pump it round the freezer so that's ok but not up to the fridge which is why its not as cold as it should be.

For this you need to get a fridge engineer in as they will need to put there gauges on the back to see whats happening in there and see what pressure the compressor is pumping at.

But this isn't going to be cheap. As a new compressor is about the £200-250 mark so not even worth fixing. If short of gas then that's about the £120-150 mark.

But just be carefull as well as you will find soon the freezer will start to defrost as well as it doesn't usually last long once the fridge stops working.

Sorry its not good news but if you need anymore info just get back to me.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi, no that's not good news, not worth an engineer/parts as the appliance was only £120, new 4 years ago. You mention that the compressor may not have the power, but the air blowing into the freezer compartment is pretty high.

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.

The air in the freezer is from a fan not the compressor. The compressor pumps the gas around the evaporator and the and fan then blows cold air around so its the fan that's doing that.

But soon you will find the freezer will go off. Once the fridge has gone the freezer doesn't last long im afraid.

Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.