Michael
Michael, Customer Service
Experience:  I have been an appliance repair tech for over 30 years and will help you solve your problems.
11519491

I have a Panasonic DVD/VHS combi recorder Model DMR-EZ48VEB.

I have a Panasonic DVD/VHS combi recorder Model DMR-EZ48VEB. This has been working fine however I have been away for a week and when I switched it on on my return. A message came up on the TV screen saying " Self check did not cmpletee, Press OK the drawer will open and the set will go into stand by. Press the power button to restart if you get the same message refer to contact information in the Operating instructions." I have tried this 3 times and got the same message. There is no contact information in the operating Instrctions. Is there any way I can Fix this? The unit displayed the code U61.
Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.
Hi Sorry to her that.
How old is your recorder?
Tech Michael
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Less than 5 years I don't remember exactly when I got it but it was definitely after 1st September 2009,

Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.
Thanks Hillary,
When you turn it on will it stay on until you turn it off, or does it shut down on its own?
Also is the issue just that it never will complete the initial setup?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes It stays on until I turn it off. It just will not complete the initial set up.

Just before we went away I copied a programme from my Sky Planner onto a DVD and it did not record initially, the message saying the disc was scratched. I replaced the disc and it recorded fine.

Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.
Thank you Hilary,
unfortunately this is an internal electronic part failure.
you could have this fixed at most local electronic repair shops and Sears also will take it in for that, they do a great job.
You may have had a power surge while you were away as that is typically the reason this happens.
Not a scratched DVD.
I wish I had better news for you on this I really do.
I will stick with you until this is fixed and working as it should.
PLEASE RATE KINDLY AT THIS TIME, your question will NOT close or TIME OUT ;-)
No additional cost to you to rate.
Thank you Hilary and have a great day!
Tech Michael
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you Michael. I will contact a local repairer and see what they can do.

Hilary