Rick
Rick, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  25 years Service Experience as a technician. Experienced on both High End and regular Appliances
15929851

I have a Maytag GZ 2626 GEKB. The fridge is no longer cooling.

Customer Question

I have a Maytag GZ 2626 GEKB. The fridge is no longer cooling. The freezer does not seem as cold as usual either. I had the compressor replaced in July 2009 does it sound like the same problem and if so is it worth having it done again so soon after I had one replaced? Ie Is it just not a very good unit? All the fans and lights are still working fine inside, also the ice maker no longer works but this happened about a year ago. I have had the Unit since about 2007.
Thanks,
Peter
Expert:  Rick replied 3 years ago.
Rick :

Peter, my name is***** will assist you

Rick :

You say the freezer is still cold but the ice maker is not working right?

Rick :

I want you to remove the bottom basket from the freezer and look at the back wall of the freezer, i need to know if you see ice crystals on the rear wall.

Rick :

I do not think it is the compressor again.

Customer:

Hi Rick,

Customer:

The fridge is cooling again now. I turned it down this morning and it seems to be cooling again. However there are ice crystals on what I would describe as the element at the bottom of the freezer behind a grill that is behind the bottom basket. Peter

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Do you have any other info for me as to why you think this might of happened?

Expert:  Rick replied 3 years ago.
If the unit continues to work without a issue, then most likely the door was not shut all the way and air formed the crystals and blocked the air flow. The defrost cycle may have corrected this issue. If it continues to happen then you most likely have a issue with the defrost cycle.

Rick