Michael
Michael, Customer Service
Experience:  I have been an appliance repair tech for over 30 years and will help you solve your problems.
11519491

I left the fridge door of my 4 year old Zanussi frost free

Customer Question

I left the fridge door of my 4 year old Zanussi frost free fridge freezer open over-night. The freezer continued to work but the fridge did not. I was advised that the fan had possibly cut out and to switch off the appliance for 4 days to allow the freezer to completely defrost and then to switch back on, and hopefully it would reset itself. Is this advice correct? Unfortunately, I do not have the model number as I cannot find the paperwork. Any advice/assistance you can give would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
*****@******.***
Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.
Hi sorry to hear bout that is there any heavy frost on the rear wall of the inside of the freezer?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Michael,

There was no frost at back of freezer, just some around the inner seal of the door, which I wiped off. As I said, it has been off for 24 hrs and is now completely dry inside, I have not touched it, have only emptied it. I am impressed with your prompt reply; I am happy to pay for your advice but do not want to enter into a monthly contract for ongoing service. I am an OAP and cannot afford £22 a month. I do not have many large appliances, just the usual fridge/freezer, washing machine and cooker, all of which are less than 5 years old. Hope this is ok

Jean Dutton

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Michael,

There was no frost at back of freezer, just some around the inner seal of the door, which I wiped off. As I said, it has been off for 24 hrs and is now completely dry inside, I have not touched it, have only emptied it. I am impressed with your prompt reply; I am happy to pay for your advice but do not want to enter into a monthly contract for ongoing service, I am an OAP and cannot afford £22 a month. I do not have many large appliances, just the usual fridge/freezer, washing machine and cooker, all of which are less than 5 years old. Hope this is ok.

Thank you and look forward to hearing from you.

Jean Dutton

Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.
Good morning,
You don't need a full subscription, I will let them know its a one time thing for you.
I know your fridge is a frost free unit. That said, you may have a defrost issue going on but I doubt it.
Its good that you didn't have the frost on the wall.
But because the door was left open too much ice built up behind the freezer wall and caused this issue.
To fix this now you will need to turn the unit off and defrost it for 24 hours with both doors open. That will fix this for you;-)
I will stick with you until this is fixed and working as it should.
PLEASE RATE KINDLY BEFORE CLOSING THIS PAGE, your question will NOT close or TIME OUT ;-)
No additional cost to you to rate.
Thank you and have a great day!
Tech Michael
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Michael,

Sorry didn't reply yesterday, busy watching the golf! Only checked computer this morning. Fridge still switched off, been off nearly 4 days now, doors have been open most of time. No water anywhere, moved it last night to clean floor behind and underneath it and floor totally dry.

Is there anything else I need to do or can I switch it back on now. What can I expect to happen and/or how will I know if anything is broken. If it works how long do I need to leave it before putting food back in.

The self-closing door mechanism has not worked for some time now, can this be fixed?

Look forward to hearing from you, desperately need to go and buy some food as have had to throw everything away.

Jean D

PS. Found Model No. ZRB224NXO

Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.
Hi Jean, if all is defrosted, you switch it all back on now.
Let it run for 6 hours and see if it will freeze a cup of water then.
Is so your fine, if not please let me know But it should be fine now;-)
No additional cost to you to rate and then I will be able to stick with you until this is fixed and working as it should.
Thank you Jean and have a great Monday!
Tech Michael
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Michael,

Followed your instructions and fridge now working perfectly, so fingers crossed it continues to do so.

Thank you so much for your advice, made up, thank goodness I haven't had to pay for repairs. Certainly won't be leaving the door open again!!

Thanks again. Enjoy the rest of your day.

Jean D

Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.

So happy I could help:-)
Let me know if you have other problems.
Have a great evening!
Tech Michael
Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.
r