JamesI
JamesI, Handyman
Experience:  I have repaired and maintained numerous items over the years, from fridges to freezers, radios to TV's.
75967336

I turned my norfrost c6awb chest freezer of at the wall to

Customer Question

I turned my norfrost c6awb chest freezer of at the wall to defrost, did not unplug it however did the job flicked the switch back on & blew the fuse & tripped the box. this happened several times. the plug pin carbonised so changed it thinking the carbon might be shorting it out same result. its only just over 3.5 years old & its just sat there empty.
Expert:  JamesI replied 3 years ago.

In the fuse box did the RCD blow too, or just the 30A fuse?

If the RCD tripped the most common reason is water or moisture getting into the electrics and tripping the RCD.

That said this wouldnt have caused the plug to be covered in carbon, this is looking very much like a poor contact between the socket and plug.

If you have have changed the plug, I would also look to change the socket, as from my experience the socket will have carbon on the pins too, and its normally the socket pins which are not tight against the plug pins which create arcing and hence carbon being formed.

Changing the 13A socket is straight forward to do, and could potentially stop an electrical fire, if I was to guess how you dripped the fuse it would be in turning on the socket you touched the plug or nocked the socket in doing so which created a poor contact.

Expert:  JamesI replied 3 years ago.

I just wanted to see if I could be any more assistance?

regards

J

Expert:  JamesI replied 3 years ago.

Can you please advise if you need anything further or if your happy to close this case, please rate my response.

Expert:  JamesI replied 3 years ago.
I just wanted to check if you have had a chance to look at your mains socket, or if you have seen a similar circuit trip when touching the plug\switch for the freezer?