Rob
Rob, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 yrs. experience with a major worldwide manufacturer.
14831508

Rangemaster american style fridge is so noisy that it will

Customer Question

Rangemaster american style fridge is so noisy that it will have to go. It has constant noise which seems to come from around the middle back of the fridge. It is not the ice maker noise; it is not just a settling in noise; fridge is level and cooling ok. A clue that might help diagnose is that when you switch it off - the noise continues for about 90 seconds or so.
It is a lovely fridge. Looks good, performs well. But the noise is ridiculous.
Do you think a replacement part would solve this or do i just have to dispose of it and buy a samsung?
Any comments much appreciated.
Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.
Hiya,
Can you post the model number from the label inside the fridge please?
Once I know this, I'll see if I have anything on your machine.
What sort of noise is it?
Rattling? Squealing? High pitched, etc?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi, Aga Rangemaster DXD910, about a year old.
Biggest clue, after switching off, the noise continues for about 90 seconds.
Difficult to describe.....maybe stuttering or crackling noise.
When i pulled it out from wall and listened to it ....the noise appeared to be coming from 1/3rd tge way up the back of fridge.
Not a squealing or high pitched noise.
If i had your email address i could record the noise for you!
Hope you can help.
Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.
Hiya,
OK, thanks for that.
Is it a constant noise or only when the compressor isn't running?
(the compressor is the black pot shaped item at the bottom rear, behind the removable panel).
thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Pretty much a constant noise. Its a very rare occasion when its quiet and then only for a short few minutes.
Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.
Hiya,
OK, pretty strange fault.
I'll have a look to see if I have the drawings for this one.
See if I can find a cause.
If you open the door, does the noise stop?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
On opening the door the normal "motor" comes on but the noise I am referring to continues unconcerned as to whether the door is open or not!
Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.
Hiya,
OK, thanks for that.
If the drawing I've got is correct, your machine cools the fridge by means of cold air blown in from the freezer.
There's nothing in the diagram that I could attribute to the noise in the fridge.
Is the noise actually in the freezer compartment?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Do identify the exact location the noise is coming from, I would need to get into the workings of the machine i.e. remove the casing. Can you tell me how to do this? How do I access the area behind the top freezer drawer so that I can answer your question?

Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.
Hiya,
Sorry, I'd have to see the machine to advise on that.
On some models the panels simply clip in place, on others, they are screwed in place.
I'll opt out of the question and open it to all again, see if anyone has worked on one recently and can remember how the panels are fixed.
Sorry