Daniel T.
Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

I have a samsung rs20ccms and warning noise keeps beeping.

Customer Question

I have a samsung rs20ccms and warning noise keeps beeping. Power cool keeps turning itself on
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.

Is the problem on the fridge side?

If you remove the bottom drawers in the fridge and look on the back walls do you see any frost coming out the vents?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes it is on the fridge side. There is no frost coming out of the vents. We normally do a full defrost every 12 months and not long had one. Problem been getting worse, more frequent beeps for 4 to 5 months now

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.

Ok as this is a frost free appliance you don't really need to do a defrost as it does this every 10 hours or so. So the frost can build up very quickly in a few days so as you did a defrost not so long again this doesn't really matter im afraid.

You may now this already but these are prone to iceing up to much and when it does you get this kind of fault.

What you need to do is empty the fridge side and then from there remove that bottom panel to expose the evaporator. You remove the screws at the bottom and then remove the vent covers at the top of the panel and remove the screws in there.

Once off if the evaporator or fan is blocked with ice then you need to use a hairdryer and melt it all.

Then if you have a multi meter you need to test the defrost heater which is wrapped around the evaporator. Test the wires at the top of it and make sure theres continuity there and if that's fine locate the sensors. Yellow wires on this and test them. This should give a reading in Kohms. If any are faulty then you need to replace them.

But if they are fine then refit the panel and just see how it goes from there.

Let me know what you find.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ive done all that. All seems to be fine. No ice in there at all. Yet when you put backthe fridge back on the power cool keeps turning itself on and off. Is there a way to disconnect or turn the power cool function off?

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.

Ok the power cool opition is usuaully just controlled by the button in the front.

If you press this does it turn it off?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It does turn it off but then a few minutes later it turns back on and beeps when it does so. It will also turn itself off and beep again. It can do this 3or 4 times a minute. It is very intermittant

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.

Ok so is the cooling actually ok inside the fridge itself?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes all aspects work fine other than an annoying beep and the power cool kicking in and out which doesnt really bother me

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.

Ok this sounds like you have an electronic control issue here as the power cool should really only come on when you select it. If its coming and going off on its own then it a control board issue.

Now theres 2 boards in there. The one in the door display and the main one at the top. Its more then likely the door display board which is causing this but as theres no tests you can do on a control board its just a case or replacing it. Now there is a chance its the man board but without replacing the display board you wont be able to tell.

But from the sounds of this as the appliance is still cooling its a control issue here. Now as this is faulty theres no way of disabling the power cool or alarm im afraid.