Daniel
Daniel, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

Got a Bosch washing machine which seems not to spin. I opened

Got a Bosch washing machine which seems not to spin.
I opened up the top and re-seated the electrical connections, cleaned out the waste bottle, generally pushed and poked and the first time I switched it back on and put into rinse mode with no washing in it appeared to succesfully run through the whole cycle including the drum spinning.
I put some clothes in and set to a 30 degree wash. The water fills and drains but the drum does not spin. I tried the rinse again with no clothes in and it completes the cycle but when the LED is on @[email protected] the drum doesn't turn. Any ideas?
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.

Ok I think you will find its going to be worn carbon brushes in the motor causing this fault.

What you need to do is remove the back panel and take the motor out from the bottom.

Then look at the back of the motor and you will see the carbon brushes. Take them out and see if they have worn down. If so then you need to replace them and that should cure the fault for you.

As when you get this fault were it doesn't spin with a load if you empty it and run it empty as theres no strain on the motor it will turn for a bit but will stop again.

So check them and replace them and this should cure the fault and get it up and running again.

If you need anymore info just get back to me.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK - thanks - I'll give that a whirl.

Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.

No worries let me know how it goes.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Excellent. Splashed out £5 on a pair of replacement brushes including delivery ( probably could of got them cheaper but .. ). Slapped them in and ... hey presto - all working again.

It also runs smoother too. It was starting to vibrate a bit. Don't know if that is coincidence or not.

Cheap simple fix - just what I like.