Daniel
Daniel, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

my milano cooker e60 has developed a dead short in the oven

my milano cooker e60 has developed a dead short in the oven circuit. What sequence do I follow to identify the fault
Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.

What I do when you get a fault like this is check the heater elements first as most of the time its one of them causing it.

Pull the oven out and remove the back panel. There you will see the wires going to the elements.

If you have a megger or a good insulation meter you need to disconnect 1 element at a time and test the oven. If you don't have a meter to do this then you need to insulate the wires that you disconnect and then turn the oven on and see if it stops tripping. If it does then that's the part that's causing it.

First disconnect the lower oven heater element as that's the usually culprit and see if it stops tripping. If not then do the same to the grill element.

Do that to all the oven elements first and if its still tripping out then you need to remove the hob top and do the same to them elements

But first check the oven elements as 8 times out of 10 its them rather then the hob elements.

If you need anymore info just get back to me.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** the element and there is no short. Do I have to take the oven apart to hange it?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** the element and there is no short. Do I have to take the oven apart to change it?

Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.

Ok if its the main oven element then you need to remove the shelfs inside the oven and from there remove the back panel.

There you will see the element. Go round the back again and disconnect the wires and then you need to remove the screws holding the element from the back. They are either side of the wires.

With them out you can replace the element from the inside of the oven.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello Daniel,

I have since put a meter accross the oven element and I have continuity. I reconnected the terminals and switched on and there is no short but no heat either. everything else is working. If the element is u/s would I have continuity?

Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.
What resistance reading are you getting?
It should be about 29 Ohms are you getting around about this reading?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

no, it is only 5. iguess the element needs to be changed?