Daniel T.
Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

My NEFF has an AL signal and the freezer is defrosting , any

My NEFF has an AL signal and the freezer is defrosting , any ideas what is going on ??
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.

Can you post the full model number please.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi , it has the info on the rating plate , K9724X4GB/06 , FD8604 Cheers Kev

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.

Ok what you need to do is empty the freezer and from there remove the back panel.

There you will see the freezer evaporator. Check to see if this is all blocked with ice. If so then you need to use a hair dryer and melt the ice in there. Also check the fan motor in there isn't jammed as well.

Make sure that's all clear then refit the panels an retry it and see how it goes from there.

Let me know what you find.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi , yes did that before I contacted you . No ice and fan is working fine . Freezer is cold , very similar to the fridge , probably about plus 2-5 but will not freeze . Has slowly defrosted since about yesterday afternnon when it suddenly started bleeping and the AL letters came up uin the box above the fridge . If you reset iot it shows -18 but then as soon as you shut the door and re-open the fridge door it is AL again . Cheers Kev

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.

Ok if you feel the compressor at the back if you can is it hot to touch?

Also was the ice all the way round the evaporator or just half of it?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I will take the back off again . Cheers Kev

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.

Ok no wories

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok , there was no ice , either half way or round it . There still is not . The oblong silver thing , if that is compressor , is cold . First time I have used this so do not know if I can post pics anywhere ?

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.

Ok the silver thing you see is the evaporator. The compressor is at the back of the appliance so to access this you need to pull the appliance out from the fitted unit.

But as there isn't any ice forming on the evaporator then its looking like a system fault. More then likely a poor pumping compressor. As the fridge is cooling then its pumping a bit for the fridge to cool but not at a good enough pressure for it to get down to a freezing temperature.

This isn't a diy fix as you will need to get a fridge engineer in as they will need to put there gauges on to the pipe work at the back and see what pressure the compressor is pumping at. Then from there they can replace the compressor and regas it from there.

But this isn't going to be a cheap fix as a new compressor is roughly about the £200-300 mark.

Sorry its not looking like good news but if you need anymore info just get back to me.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok , thanks .

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.

Your welcome if you need anymore info just get back to me.

Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.