Daniel
Daniel, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

My bosh kgh34x45gb has stopped freezing and chilling. Is there

Customer Question

My bosh kgh34x45gb has stopped freezing and chilling. Is there anything I can try before I call someone?
Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.

Has the freezer totally defrosted?

Also is the compressor on the back running? Is it hot to touch?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Daniel,

Yes it has totally defrosted and items in the fridge were not cold. I looked at the troubleshooting in the book. It suggested the freezer may be too full. I emptied the freezer, pulled it away from the wall and turned it off for an hour. I then put it back on. It seems to be working again, only been on half an hour so a bit early to be sure it's not going to stop again. The compressor did feel hot. Is it likely to be just an over heat and all should be OK from now on?

Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.

Ok over loading the freezer wont cause it to fully defrost in both the fridge and freezer. It can restrict the air flow causing it to go a bit warmer but not fully defrost.

Now as its started running and the compressor was hot it may be a system fault. Possibly a faulty compressor as these can run for a bit and overheat and cut out. So turning it off and leaving it to cool down can get it to work again. Now this may be a one off but if it happens again and the compressor at the back is very hot then its possibley a faulty compressor which for this isn't a diy fix so you would need to get some one to fix it. But a compressor is very expensive. You are looking at about the £200-300 mark.

But fingers crossed this may be a one off and it should be fine. But if you need anymore info just get back to me.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for your advice. The freezer is definitely starting to freeze stuff we've put back in it. Not convinced the fridge is working though, perhaps it will take awhile to get cool. Is it possible for one to work and not the other? The fridge-freezer was new in Oct 2011. If it is the compressor would it be worth fixing?

Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.

Ok the fridge gets its cooling from the freezer. The fan in there blows the cold air into the fridge section so make sure the fan is running in there ok.

But the freezer does need to get cold first so it can then blow the cold air into the fridge.

As to fixing the compressor if it is the compressor then the part itself is £190 then you can add another £100 for labour and gas so its a expensive fix.

But if you ring Bosch they can do a policy were they will fix it no matter what it is and its about £16 a month as you pay monthly for it. Now this may be a better opition as its not that old of a appliance and its a decent machine as well so give Bosch a bell and try them as personally I think that will be a better opition.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks again for the advice. I've just felt the compressor and it's too hot to leave your hand on it for more than a few seconds, is this normal or is just because it's working overtime to get the freezer to temperature?

Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.

Its not normal no. The compressor should be warm not hot so you cannot leave you hand on it.

When its like this its because the compressor is working to hard and then it cuts out and then that's when it defrosts everything again.