canuck the pro
canuck the pro, Plumber
Experience:  Plumber
64367226

The drum of my washing machine is vibrating like mad. Ive

The drum of my washing machine is vibrating like mad. I've taken the top off and I can see a place where it MIGHT be supposed to be bolted to the back wall of the machine. Should it be? or is that just for when it's being moved? Thanks in anticipation. Theresa.
Expert:  canuck the pro replied 2 years ago.
canuck the pro :

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I have been in the home improvement and repair field for 20 years. I will be very glad to help you today. There are supports that keep the drum in place. The bolt you are looking at is likely the moving support bolt that you would place in for moving. To inspect the support bolts you would have to remove the drum.

Customer:

So why is it vibrating so much?

canuck the pro :

There are supports for the drum that can get seized and cause this issue. It's just that the bolt that you see is not it. Has it always vibrated and have you leveled the machine?

canuck the pro :

The supports for the drum are not accessible without removing the drum.

Customer:

The vibration has got worse. I have levelled the machine

canuck the pro :

Yes it does sound that your machine is going to require some surgery. Are you going to repair yourself? If I were going to assess the difficulty of this repair on a scale of 1-10 as a DIY project I would give it a 7.

canuck the pro :

The drum would have to be removed and the supports for the drum would need replacing. It is likely only one support but I would replace all of them since the others may be at risk of seizing soon also.

canuck the pro :

If you decide to repair it yourself I can certainly help with that also.

Customer:

I might have a go at that tomorrow. Run out of time today. May I come back to you if I need more help, please?

canuck the pro :

Sorry for the wait. I am typing up some detailed directions to help you out tomorrow. Just about 5 more minutes and I will have some directions for you to follow.

Customer:

canuck the pro :

The surgery will require removing the two screws that secure the control console to the top of the washing machine. Flip the control console back and let it rest on the back hinge then disconnecting the door switch wiring harness,use a flat head screwdriver on the brass clips on the top rear of the washer. Push the screwdriver handle toward the back wall and pop the clips out of the washer top. Grab the washer cabinet on both sides with your hands and lift the cabinet away from the washer base. Take the top off of the top of the agitator. Inside the agitator is a debris cap with a plastic handle. Grab that handle and twist while lifting the debris cap out of the agitator. Use a socket wrench with an extension to remove the agitator bolt in the center of the agitator. Grab the bottom of the agitator with both hands and lift the agitator out of the tub then press down with one hand on the tub cover directly over a tub cover clip. Unsnap the clip using your free hand. Continue pressing down on the tub cover and releasing the clips until all the clips are free. Lift the tub cover off of the tub assembly. Use a wrench to remove the nut in the middle of the tub. Pull the inner tub out of the outer tub. There are three screws that secure the outer tub to the tub braces. Use a socket wrench to remove the screws and lift the tub out of the washing machine.

canuck the pro :

You are very welcome. Good luck tomorrow!

Customer:

That sounds extremely thorough and helpful. Thankyou.

canuck the pro, Plumber
Experience: Plumber