canuck the pro
canuck the pro, Plumber
Experience:  Plumber
64367226

My Bosch SGI43A25GB/01 has developed a fault whereby anything

My Bosch SGI43A25GB/01 has developed a fault whereby anything in the bottom basket that needs to be washed using the bottom spray bar comes out just as it went in. The spray arm doesn't appear to rotate properly although water is coming from it.
Expert:  canuck the pro replied 2 years ago.
canuck the pro :

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I have been in the home improvement and repair field for 20 years. I will be very glad to help you today.

canuck the pro :

It sounds like the spray arms will need to be cleaned. Often what happens is the spray arms get scale buildup in the outlets and get clogged.

canuck the pro :

I will be typing out some directions on how to repair this issue. There may be a few minutes before my next response, ok?

canuck the pro :

The top sprayer removes by turning the plastic nut that holds it in. It may look something like this

Full Size Image
Then to remove the bottom sprayer, it will pull straight up and out. You may have to turn the blades to a 12 and 6 position to do so. Rinse the sprayers and poke the sprayer holes of any debris. To clean perfectly soak the sprayer arms in water and vinegar for about an hour. This will remove any scale inside. Also clean the filter in the dishwasher if you have not done so already.

Customer:

I'll certainly go and try what you suggest, but surely this should have been carried out when the guy serviced the machine?

canuck the pro :

What was it that was serviced? You never know what they may do and may not. Was the service person there to service this same issue?

Customer:

That was the sole reason why we called him in. He did say that there is a mechanism that alternates the water pressure somehow between the spray arms. He said that the repair to this changeover unit is very expensive hence the suggestion of a new machine.

canuck the pro :

The water pressure is good on the upper sprayer?

Customer:

Yes

canuck the pro :

It seems that the lower sprayer would just need a cleaning. It won't take long to figure out if it is blocked or not. So many "repair" companies are all about selling a new replacement rather than repairing the issue. Your dishwasher is repairable. Check out the lower sprayer. Once removed you will be able to tell if there is a blockage. Even run the dishwasher without the sprayers installed while soaking the sprayers. That way if there is a blockage in the sprayer feeds you will be able to remove that also. Run it without dishes or soap, just rinse.

Customer:

I'll go and give that a try, thanks. As Arnie says, "I'll be back"

canuck the pro :

Very good! Give 'er Arnie!

Customer:

Both spray arms are fully clear. there seems to be plenty of water coming through but the bottom arm just will not rotate. I tested the water flow by inverting a 4pint milk bottle over the outlet and made it fit fairly snugly using a rubber band. As soon as I shut the door the bottle filled at least half way up, so there seems to be enough water flow. Could there be a fault in the bottom spray arm that prevents it from rotating? I also found the invoice for he recent service, and he made a note on it at the bottom that says "Discussed diverter / control issues"

canuck the pro :

So you ran it without the spray arms installed? After doing this did you replace the arms and have the same result?

Customer:

I replaced the spray arm and, although water comes out, it will not rotate.

canuck the pro :

That is so strange since the water pressure is what causes the sprayer to spin.

canuck the pro :

Did the repair guy remove the dishwasher when he was there to repair it?

Customer:

Exactly my theory. That's why I am wondering what could have gone wrong with the bottom arm that is not obvious to see.

Customer:

Should there be any "O" rings on the spigot?

canuck the pro :

There should be on O ring on the stem of the bottom sprayer.

Customer:

Aha, that could be the problem. there aren't any O rings on mine!!

canuck the pro :

If there is not then the water would come out around the stem and not turn the sprayer. The diverter is not a big deal to replace either. I do not know how he was able to assess that the diverter is the issue without removing the dishwasher. It is unlikely to be that and more likely something quite simple. When replacing the O ring be sure to also put some water proof grease on it. Do not use any Petroleum products such a Vasoline or Petroleum jelly of any sort since they eat away rubber.

Customer:

Your comment re Vaseline surprises me as I always thought that was best for the job. I've got some silicone grease I can use. I'm off to sort it. Back soon.

canuck the pro :

Very good. Yes petroleum jelly is the enemy!

canuck the pro :

I am headed out soon to take the boy to a birthday party. I will check in when I can to see how you've progressed but my response may be a little delayed since I'll be using my smart phone.

canuck the pro :

I will be marked as away but I will get an email notification that you have responded and will respond back as quickly as I can. I imagine I will be away from the computer for about 3 hours but I will check in during that time so that you do not have to wait too long for any further information.

Customer:

I think that we might have sorted it between us. Final proof will be to put a wash on. This won't be until tomorrow as we only just did a wash. I will leave this window open until then. In the meantime, thanks a lot for your help.

Customer:

Regards, Alan

canuck the pro :

You are very welcome, Alan. I will certainly be available. Same deal if I am offline when you respond. I will check in and respond when I can. I am in the eastern time zone in the U.S. and it is currently about noon. I am usually online first thing in the morning and for hours in the evening. I check in during the day when I can. Good luck, we're all counting on you! Mike

Customer: Hi again Mike, Thank you very much for your help with my machine. It is now working perfectly once more. I think that between us we managed to solve the problem, and I am happy to authorize your payment in full. Kind regards, Alan
canuck the pro, Plumber
Experience: Plumber