canuck the pro
canuck the pro, Plumber
Experience:  Plumber
64367226

My hoover 423 vx oven has a lock icon on display how do I remove

My hoover 423 vx oven has a lock icon on display how do I remove this??
Expert:  canuck the pro replied 3 years ago.
canuck the pro :

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I have been in the home improvement and repair field for 20 years. I will be very glad to help you today.

canuck the pro :

Is the door currently locked or does the icon stay on no matter the door position?

Customer:

The icon stays on all the time.

Customer:

I can open the door but not use any of the ovens functions. I have tried the old turn it off and back on again and that hasn't worked the icon is still there but now I can't set the time either

canuck the pro :

When you turned it off, did you leave it off for ten minutes? It may take that long to reset. When it turns off for only a minute or so there is still power stored and would not reset.

Customer:

I left it off for about 40 mins

canuck the pro :

You had it unplugged?

Customer:

Yes. I've tried that as well. Left the plug out whilst it was off for the 40 mins or so.

canuck the pro :

The lock icon is still there even after setting the time and date? Is there any other error code? If there is an error it should indicate a code starting with "F"

Customer:

Are you still there?

canuck the pro :

Yes. Did you see my last question?

Customer:

About having it unplugged? I answered it. I had it unplugged for about 40 mins and when I turned it back on again the lock is still there.

canuck the pro :

No, did you reset the time and date and it is still locked? It will not work without setting those.

Customer:

It won't allow me to. I cannot use the control panel either.

canuck the pro :

I have several manuals for Hoover ovens but not for 423. Is there a style name?

Customer:

All I have is 33701037 14110032 mod ho 423 vx type Mr04.

canuck the pro :

Ok, do you have a multi-meter and do you know how to use it?

Customer:

Dont know what that is

canuck the pro :

It is a voltage tester. I was hoping that the issue would be a setting but it looks to be more than that. The lock out symbol is indicating and issue but not really indicating what the issue is since there is not an error code indicated. The next thing to do would be to check the continuity on the element to be sure that the element is not the issue.

Customer:

Oh.

Customer:

How can I do that?

canuck the pro :

You would need a multi-meter.

Full Size Image

canuck the pro :

The first thing would be to set it to OHMs and remove the element. Checking the continuity with the meter

Customer:

I dont have one of those. Could it still be a setting?

canuck the pro :

Do you have the manual?

Customer:

Yeah but the manual isn't for that oven model. Didnt think it was an issue at the time. I have looked everywhere online and can't see about a lock on that oven model

canuck the pro :

I don't see it in any of my manuals either. Give me a couple minutes, I have two more manuals I have not checked very well yet.

Customer:

canuck the pro :

Is it built-in or free standing? Do you know about how old?

Customer:

Its built in and only 3 months old.

Customer:

You still there?

Customer:

Can't see the image

canuck the pro :

Even when you click on it?

Customer:

Ah it was downloading. Yes that's the manual that was sent with it.

Customer:

I've read what it's says in it about taking the lock off but it doesn't work. I put it down to the fact that it's not the same model

canuck the pro :

But not the correct one? Never mind about doing any testing. Since it is so new all would be covered under the warranty. The fault is likely a control board that is faulty which would be covered under the warranty. This happens a lot with new appliances. I had installed a Samsung fridge a couple weeks ago and the customer called me 4 days later that the wrench icon was flashing. Samsung went out and changed the control board. The manuals often cover a few models so it still may be the correct manual. In the back of the manual there should be warranty info and contact info.

canuck the pro :

I even took a brand new tv out of the box just a few days ago that worked for about an hour.

canuck the pro :

I had to ship it back for a replacement.

Customer:

I have rang hoover but with it being Sunday tomorrow wanted it fixed to do Sunday dinner they can't let me know anything till monday.

canuck the pro :

I am sorry about that. It certainly sounds to be a faulty control board. The repair person will not be there long. They will show up with a board and replace it.

Customer:

Oh ok. Thanks for trying anyway.

canuck the pro :

You are very welcome.