canuck the pro
canuck the pro, Plumber
Experience:  Plumber
64367226

We have an American style fridge freezer, serial number 8586

We have an American style fridge freezer, serial number 8586 172 15020. we have had it about 3 years and have never had the water and ice compartment connected. we would now like to do so however, we do not have any instructions and possibly parts, to do this. your help and expertise would be gratefully appreciated.
Expert:  canuck the pro replied 2 years ago.
canuck the pro :

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I have been in the home improvement and repair field for 20 years. I will be very glad to help you today. Do you have a water supply behind the fridge?

canuck the pro :

If you do not, is the fridge on the same wall as the sink or opposite of the sink on the other side of the kitchen?

Customer:

we have water on the same side of the kitchen

canuck the pro :

Alright, is it an option to drill in the cabinet to get a supply behind the fridge?

Customer:

I can get water to the fridge freezer, yes. what I need is the pipe to fit the fridge freezer to the mains

canuck the pro :

Yes, I was thinking it would be easiest to make the connection at the kitchen sink. Is that an option? That way you do not have to turn the water off and drain the system.

Customer:

we have a spare water supply behind the washing machine which is right by the fridge freezer. we just need to know how to connect it up and what parts we need. there is a length of plastic pipe with a nut behind the fridge freezer. we have an instruction manual about how to work it once its connected, but nothing to tell us how to install the water.

canuck the pro :

What size is the water supply connection behind the washing machine? Is it threaded or just capped off copper? The piece on the the plastic line is 1/4" compression thread. I would have to know more about the source connection though.

Customer:

behind the washing machine is a 15mm isolator, is there a ready made kit to fit these together? and if so where can I get it from?

canuck the pro :

So it has a 15mm female thread?

canuck the pro :

Does the isolation valve have a female thread that is 15mm thread?

Customer:

yes it does. standard 15mm isolator

canuck the pro :

http://www.plumbcenter.co.uk/en/plumbing/fittings/copper-fittings/yorkshire-yp3lc-male-iron-reducing-connector-15mm-x-1-4-11010

canuck the pro :

http://www.supplyhouse.com/Jones-Stephens-Corp-C74-059-68-44-1-4-OD-x-1-4-MIP-Brass-Compression-Connector

canuck the pro :

These are the two connectors you would need. I am still trying to find the parts from the same vendor.

canuck the pro :

The second one the nut comes off and that is where the plastic line with the nut would connect.

canuck the pro :

If you have a local plumbing supply that would be your best bet. You would need a 15mm male thread x 1/4 " compression thread nipple.

Customer:

ok thank you, ***** ***** all we need?

canuck the pro :

Add long as the line is long enough yes. That and some Teflon tape for the 15mm thread. You do not need sealant on the 1/4" compressIon thread.

canuck the pro :

I wish the U.S. would go metric like the rest of the world!