JamesI
JamesI, Handyman
Experience:  I have repaired and maintained numerous items over the years, from fridges to freezers, radios to TV's.
75967336

I have a DVD hard drive recorder. When I turn it on, it cuts

I have a DVD hard drive recorder. When I turn it on, it cuts out after a few seconds. Have tried taking plugs out for several minutes etc but doesn't help. Any suggestions?

Expert:  JamesI replied 3 years ago.
JamesInch :

Hi, can you tell me the make and model?
In gerneral the most common fault is the hard disk has failed, but that should shouldnt cause it to fail after a couple of seconds I would have expected it to display an error message.

Customer:

It's a Toshiba RDXV60KB DVD hard drive recorder. There is no error message, there is just, increasingly frequently, a complete power cut out a few seconds after turning the machine on. This doesn't happen everytime, sometimes it works fine but the cut out is happening more and more often now.

JamesInch :

Is the unit in a static place or does it get pulled\moved around abit, as it sounds like a loose connections from what your suggesting

JamesInch :

In terms of the complete power cut once it goes off, I take it, its "dead", does it ever come back on or do you need to unplug it and plug it back in to come back on?

Customer:

The unit is in a static place, it isn't moved. I did have a look at the connections but they seem to be ok. Once power has cut out, the only way I get it back is to take all the plugs out for a while and it may then restart ok (ie without just cutting out again a few seconds later) after plugging back in. If it doesn't start working again properly, the other option, as previously mentioned, is to turn it back on again and immediately hold the on/off and stop buttons in for at least say 10 seconds (an internet tip!) and this sometimes gets it to work ok for a reasonable period (even as much as 2 or 3 hours) but it will eventually cut out again. It will certainly never come back on without doing one of these two things.

JamesInch :

Ok, this sounds like a control board fault rather than a loose connection.

JamesInch :

This unfortunately means its going to be uneconomical to repair.
It may be worth removing the cover and just double checking all the connections are firmly seated but the fact by doing a soft restart (holding in the buttons for 10 seconds) it stops it from tripping for a few hours suggests its a power supply unit fault or control board fault.