canuck the pro
canuck the pro, Plumber
Experience:  Plumber
64367226

Siemens combination microwave oven. No power, have changed

Siemens combination microwave oven.
No power, have changed the 13amp fuse in the plug twice and still no power. The clock/timer comes on initially then fades away a few sends later. The fuse box switch did not trip the second time after the first new fuse?
Expert:  canuck the pro replied 3 years ago.
canuck the pro :

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I have been in the home improvement and repair field for 20 years. I will be very glad to help you today. Is this a new installation or existing? Is the fuse blowing but the switch is not tripping?

Customer:

Existing installation ( integral - not freestanding). The fuse tripped in the main fuse box the first time and I changed the plug fuse. Clock/timer came on then faded away after a few seconds. Changed the fuse again and the same thing happened but not the main fuse box.

canuck the pro :

The issue is very likely that one of the microswitches in the door interlock system is shorting out. There are four of them. With time these switches will develop a short will be put across the power line causing the fuse to blow forcing the oven to be serviced. These switches and/ or the door can get out of alignment as machine ages. Repair of this problem is not an easy DIY project. The door has to be taken apart. With a multimeter and some electronics experience replacement is doable but tricky.

Customer:

So I have to call out an engineer then?

canuck the pro :

Well that is also the tricky part. The cost of repair may outweigh the cost of replacement. You can call an engineer and describe what is needing replacement and they will be able to give you a quote about the cost of the repair now that you know what is at issue. You can also get a quote for repair here: http://www.repaircare.co.uk/

Customer:

You are very welcome.