JamesI
JamesI, Handyman
Experience:  I have repaired and maintained numerous items over the years, from fridges to freezers, radios to TV's.
75967336

I purchased a baby lock evolution Serger from Japan which cost

I purchased a baby lock evolution Serger from Japan which cost me $2,380,I bought an adapter plug to take the Japanese plug but didn't realise I needed a transformer so when I pluged the machine in the light came on for a few seconds and then blew ,can you tell me what damage if any I might have done to the machine .I have now bought a transformer but I'm afraid to try the machine ,any advice will be appreceated
Had I realised everything would have been in Japanese I would never have purchased it
Expert:  JamesI replied 3 years ago.
JamesInch :

Hi, When you say it blew what do you mean all lights went off and wont come back on?

JamesInch :

Looking at the voltage in Japan you looking to have blown the PSU (power unit) inside the device which regulates the power going to the motor.
High voltage is far more damaging than high current, but my guess is if you can get a spare PSU it will be easy enough to replace, and it should have stopped any further damage to the motor etc.
In terms of spare parts I am not sure how anyone local to source parts from but would contact Baby Lock directly, you may even get away with getting the part under 'warrenty' depending on how you word the problem.

Customer:

do you think it will be ok to try and plug the machine in through the transformer I have just bought or do you think the damage is already done so a transformer wont make any difference and will it will it cause more damage.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have sent another question about pluging my machine in through a transformer but have not received an answer

Expert:  JamesI replied 3 years ago.
Sorry for the delay, I didnt see your response until now.
The transformer wont do any more damage to the unit providing its the correct voltage.
So its worth try, some time they do have "automatic" fuses so it may come back to life, but I think its unlikly without first changing the power supply.
The power supply is just a regulator inside the unit, these shouldnt be very cost maybe £30, I would think postage would cost more than the part if it comes from the US though.
Hope this helps reassure you that you can at least try and get it working with the new transformer and with a bit of luck it will come back to life.
I would appreciate if you could rate my service today.