Daniel T.
Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

Our samsung side by side refridgerator is not properly working

Our samsung side by side refridgerator is not properly working .The refridgerator side did not feel cold enough when the temp was set at 2 and the cold water dispencer which is plumbed in to the mains stopped working .Three days ago we switched it off to defrost as there was a build up of ice on the rear wall .When switching it on the next day the water dispencer was working and the temp gauge took a long while to go down from 20 to 2 .But from last night the temp has stayed at 16 and no water from the dispencer????? Can you HELP???
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.

How long did you turn the appliance off for it to defrost?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

We had it off for about 20hrs

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.

Ok if you look on the back panel again do you see any frost coming through the vents?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

just very slight frost in the inside back panel but no frost on the outside at the vents.

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.

Ok have you actually removed the back panel to check behind there?

If so was the evaporator iced over?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes and we hoovered out a lot of dust from the inside of the vents but there was no sign of ice

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.

When we say back panel you do mean the panel inside the fridge itself?

As there shouldn't be any dust in there.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

no the outside panel as we did not think we could get the inside panel off

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.

Ok thought it was when you said you hovered it lol

What this will more then likely be is the evaporator and fan jammed up with ice as this causes the water bottle to freeze. A 20 hours defrost isn't always long enough to clear it as you need to leave the fridge door open as well (not sure if you did this) otherwise it wont defrost.

If you are able to remove the panel inside the freezer then you need to empty the fridge section of the drawers and shelves and then remove the screws holding the water bottle on at the bottom.

Then undo the 2 screws on the bottom of the panel.

Then remove both vent covers left and right and the top part of the panel and remove the screws from there.

Now you can remove the panel and disconnect the wires.

Now you need to use a hairdryer and melt all the ice in there and also clear the fan motor that's on the back panel.

Then once its fully clear refit the panel and turn it back on and see how it goes. Fingers crossed this will cure it but if it does it again in say 3 weeks then theres a fault with the defrost side which can be either the defrost heater itself or the sensors which are in there.

If you need anymore info just get back to me.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ok we will try that

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.

No worries this should cure it.

Just get back to me and let me know how it goes. Even after rating you can get back to me on this and you wont have to pay again.

Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.