JamesI
JamesI, Handyman
Experience:  I have repaired and maintained numerous items over the years, from fridges to freezers, radios to TV's.
75967336
Appliance

How to remove the chuck from a Bosch PSB 400-2 percussion

drill
replied 3 years ago.
JamesInch :

Hi, The easiest way is to put the chuck key in the chuck and give it a short sharp bang with a hammer anti clockwise (opposite direction from how it spins), this should loosen the chuck and then it should just unscrew by hand anti clockwise.

JACUSTOMER-ffb32ncp- :

Should the chuck be fully open or closed when you try this, because I am having no success with it fully open and i am using a lump hammer to hit the chuck key?

JamesInch :

It should make any difference, what your doing is unscrewing the chuck, but since its on a shaft you cant do that without the shaft moving with the chuck. So you need to stop the shaft moving so you can unscrew the chuck. It doesnt need to be the chuck key, you could put a G-Camp on the chuck and hit that, its just enough tork to loosen it.
It may also help to spray some WD40 at the back fo the chuck to help free it.

JACUSTOMER-ffb32ncp- :

So how do i stop the shaft from moving and anyway if i am hitting down on the chuck key with the drill pointing upwards hence an anti clockwise direction with the the chuck fully open the shaft isn't moving anyway? By the way i have 2 drills and neither is responding to your advice i must be misunderstanding the directions somehow? Thanks

JamesInch :

I appologies let me see if I can find a video I can direct you to.

JACUSTOMER-ffb32ncp- :

That would be great if you could thanks

JamesInch :

Right, your model shouldnt have a screw at the back, or it does I have never loosed it, but this shows you what your trying to do, all being it on a mains powered drill. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nt8-wuJ9QZE

JACUSTOMER-ffb32ncp- :

No my model has no retaining screw as you say and it is a corded mains powered drill.. i will look at the video now .

JACUSTOMER-ffb32ncp- :

JACUSTOMER-ffb32ncp- :

Hi James,

JamesInch :

Ok, this looks a better video and to be honest if you have an allan key and a spanner thin enough to fit behind the chuck this would work better, however I have always gone for the brute force approach, placing the key in the chuck and giving it a bang to force the chuck in the reverse.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8flv9SMSa0

JACUSTOMER-ffb32ncp- :

I have already viewed this video before I sought your advice. Firstly it shows a cordless hand drill and with a retaining screw. He then unwinds it using a large alun key in the chuck as a drill bit which he hits . Is that what you suggest I try instead of the chuck key idea and what will stop the shaft from turning if I follow this method?

JACUSTOMER-ffb32ncp- :

Having just watched the next video you sent about the makita percussion drill I am going to try that idea tomorrow as It looks like it will work if it does i will let you know tomorrow.

JACUSTOMER-ffb32ncp- :

Thanks for your perseverence,

JamesInch :

Try and put some WD40 on it before hand too, at the back of the chuck