Daniel T.
Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

Hello we have just bought a secondhand Maytag american fridge

Hello we have just bought a secondhand Maytag american fridge freezer. It is in excellent condition and has no marks-looks like new. However, when we switched it on the freezer side, although reading -24 on the control panel, does not appear to be freezing. We have no instruction booklet and the booklet sent to us from Maytag does not have any information about actually working the freezer!
We have not yet plumber in the fridge freezer as kitchen is still undergoing building work.
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.

Can you post the model number please. Its usually on a sticker inside the fridge section possibley behind the salad boxes.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Model number is: MSS20C1S14

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.

Ok that number doesn't seem to be coming up. Do you see a service number that starts 85?

If so can you post this as well but you need to prefix it with an A.

Eg A852512341234

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I can have a look but I have left it running to see if it will freeze but now have a smell and squeeky noise! I have turned it off. I think it is more than just not knowing how to turn on freezer!

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.

Ok when you plugged it in could you hear the compressor running at the back?

Is the fan running inside the freezer?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes everything seems to be running lights on but squeeky noise coming from the back. It just keeps running -not going on and off as other fridges do.

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.

Ok all you need to do is just plug the appliance in and set the temperature on the front and the freezer automatically works.

As you say its just running all the time and not switching off and not cold then its a system fault. It could have a blockage inside the system from the move or a broken pipe so the gas has escaped which can happen when you move these.

Im afraid its not a case or activating the freezer as it should come on straight away.

When you moved it did you leave it unplugged for a few hours or just plugged it in straight away. If you plugged it in straight away then it may have got a blockage of oil in the system.

Im afraid this has a fault on it and its going to need a fridge system engineer as they need to put there gauges on the back and see whats happening in there.

But if you can you will be best to return it to were ever you got it from as this is faulty.

Sorry its not good news but if you need anymore info just get back to me.

Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.