Daniel T.
Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

My 4 year old JL Freezer only freezes to minus 12C

Customer Question

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.

Did you do a full defrost on the appliance?

Also do you hear the fan inside the freezer running?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Defrost - yes

Fan running - not sure but certainly hear a motor,. Can I check the fan easily? I am not sure if there is a door switch button that I can over-ride.

The freezer is still running and the temperature is now showing -13 but still only using 50W - 0.33A

Thanks for help thus far

Nigel

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.

When you get this fault were the temperature hovers around -12 its down to air flow. Either the evaporator is blocked with ice or the fan motor is faulty.

What you need to do is empty the freezer and from there remove the back panel.

There you will see the evaporator. Check this isn't blocked up as the drain hole on there likes to block up so you get a big build up of ice at the bottom of the evaporator.

If there is then you need to remove the ice and make sure the drain hole in the middle of the gutter under the evaporator is clear.

If that's fine then you can access the fan motor from there as its just above the evaporator. So you can test that from there.

But just check the drain hole first as to be honest 3 times out of 10 its this that's blocked up so the ice builds up under the evaporator and stops the air flow.

Let me know what you find.

Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Daniel,

Very many thanks.

I will try this tomorrow.

We have some fruit stored in the freezer which I shall have to wrap-up well.

Dinner is ready - hence leave well alone until tomorrow.

I will respond again when I have made the suggested tests.

Nigel

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.

No worries I will await your reply.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi!Daniel,

I removed the internal cover and you, I know, will not be surprised to hear that behind this panel was rather a lot of ice.

The defrost has now been completed. I had previously removed all visible ice and did not realise that there was space behind for so much. The drips that I had previously observed from the drain were localised thawing but overall the drain was blocked.

I am grateful for your assistance and thus to 'justanswer' - a good service.

I have delayed responding until now as I wished to give the freezer a full 24 hour test.

Nigel.

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.

Nice one glad to hear you sorted it in the end and its up and running again. And thanks for letting me know how it went.