Michael
Michael, Customer Service
Experience:  I have been an appliance repair tech for over 30 years and will help you solve your problems.
11519491

Zanussi WJD 1667 washer dryer E21 E33 error codes

Customer Question

I have a Zanussi WJD 1667 W washer dryer. It is 11 years old. Recently developed fault in that it does not drain and timer doesn't go down past 27 minutes (I think when wants to drain to go to rinse?). Pump sounds like it works. No water left in drain area when gets stuck. (flap on front at bottom right) Machine has been working fine in the same location with same drain fitting for last 7 years. Diagnostic mode: originally showed E21 as error code I understand this means drainage problems. I have an extension on the drain hose and can separate it to drain into a bucket - still the problem persists. The machine cannot drain properly. If I blow down the hose back into the machine in makes a different sound, then a bit of water comes out. then back to doing nothing. Repeat for same effect. If something is blocking the drain hose outlet on the inside, How do I get to it? How do I clear this problem? Appreciate this may not be the issue. Today I went into diagnostic mode, ran some of the tests. When I got to 40 degree light the error code now shows E33. Manual drain still required. Help!

Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Hi sorry to hear that.
Does this stop always in the same place on the timer?
Or is it random?
Tech Michael
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi, my wife says always at the same point (when a full wash cycle is run)

Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for that Dan,
This is a sigh of a failed control board.
Its easy enough to replace and I will help you do this.
All that is required are a few basic hand tools.
The best place to get the replacement main control board is Espares.
For cost and reliability.
I have listed their contact information below for you.
If you will rate my service to you thus far as ok or better, before closing this page, I will be able stick with you until this fixed.
Please not it won't cost you anything more to rate, and it WILL ensure your question won't time out or end unexpectedly, then you can always contact me the very same way at no additional cost;-)
Thank you Dan and have a wonderful day!
Tech Michael
Please call Espares:
Sales
0844 9777 888
After sales
0333 4007 888
Monday to Friday 8am to 6pm, Saturday 9am to 4pm, or 10am to 4pm on Bank Holidays
Calls to 0844 numbers are charged at 5p per minute including VAT from BT landlines, other networks and mobile companies may vary.
Calls to 03 numbers are charged at a local rate.
For security and training purposes, telephone calls may be recorded or monitored.
Outside the UK? Call us on: +44 (0) 20 7717 5046
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi, thanks for your answer but I am not certain this is the right response. Also I cannot see a control board for my machine at espares so have no idea if it is worth repairing or just buying a new machine. I have no indication how long it would take to get the machine part, replace the board and put back together (so whether it is worth the time investment). I have read up on problems related to these I have, and the codes I have received, and they have explored a number of other options such as pressure hoses, cleaning all contacts and plugs for the board, checking the pump and suchlike. Hence cannot yet rate your answer. Can you give me more detailed information on your prognosis please?

Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Hi Dan, you likely wont see it ton the page thats why I sent you their phone info;-)
That is whats wrong. Whats happened is the memory circuit has a dead spot in it and it hangs up as soon as it tries to address that spot, as the electronics get down it sticks right there. I have been a an appliance tech for over 30 years so I am sure of this diagnosis unfortunately.
Please rate kindly so I can keep your question open. I will stick with you until this problem is fixed;-)
Have a nice Sunday Dan!
Tech Michael
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

So can you give me any idea on the cost and length of time required by this solution? That would be most helpful...

Also, when I would put in just on a drain cycle (say), it would not drain and would fail with E20. This is it stopping for a different reason so I wonder if I have fully explained the issues I have found - it is not just when I run a full cycle. I believe there is still a drain problem. It can drain (at least a bit) if I don't have the drain hose connected to its extension that runs to the sink outlet. It sounds like it's pumping but not much comes out. Some comes out if only the short hose. none if on the long hose. Just want to make sure this is the only option. Please don't get cross! :)

Thanks for your patience...

Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Hi Dan, as for cost that really depends on your region and the day to day price changed but about $ 130 US.
But Espares, when you call can tell you for sure on Monday.
As for this repair, if your a little handy it will take us about an hour or less to do the whole thing.
All you do is remove the top and a few screws that hod the board into the face plate.
Their a bunch of plugs, the good thing is they only fit in their respective places and no soldering is involved.
I would however ask them to make sure the new board will have pre programmed PROM IC. Its really a simple thing, and the sales team there are great. I use them all the time with great results;-)
Its easy don't worry Dan.
Thank you *****
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Just to gather your thoughts on my comments about the drain cycle I wrote please... same thing you think?

Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Hi Dan, Thank you for your patience, as these are technical issues. but YES I am sure the main board is at fault.
I hope this clears this all up for you. That will fix it like new;-)
I will help as I said.
Easy to fit as well.
Please rate so I can lock us in and your question will not time out.
Thanks Dan
Tech Michael
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi, please stop sending feedback requests, I pay someone when a job is done, not before. If you have helped me you will get your feedback and payment. I can't do anything more until tomorrow, so we'll pick this up again then. Many thanks.

Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Hi the site may be sending these I do not do that.
You can rate when you want;-)
I don't know whats been happening as I cant see if the site is doing that but I have had a couple of customers tell me the very same thing.
It may be just that because I did answer your question it wants a rating? I don't know?
Thank you for your understanding and if there is anything else I can do for you please let me know, I am here to be helpful is all;-)
Have a great day!
Tech Michael
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Michael,

I have called espares as suggested and am told the part is obsolete. There was an alternative - sadly that also is obsolete!

So this has not resulted in my fixing my machine.

Is there anything else I could try?

Additional: I have removed the control board (at last) and I see 4 burnt out resistors, damaged IC, burnt out transformer and lots of soot!

Regards,

Dan

Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Hi Dan, the resistors would be ok to replace sadly the IC is a major issue;-(
I will search to see if any parts warehouses have the board would used be ok?
Tech Michael
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

As long as functional, I could at least sell it on then.

Let me know if you find anything.

Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Hi Dan, I am checking to see if there is a control board even a used one for you as thats really the only way to fix this at this point.
I will be in touch on thats asap.
Thank you for your patience.
Tech Michael