Michael
Michael, Customer Service
Experience:  I have been an appliance repair tech for over 30 years and will help you solve your problems.
11519491

I have a Bosch Classix 1400 (WAE28162GB/05) which trips the

Customer Question

I have a Bosch Classix 1400 (WAE28162GB/05) which trips the RCD. Having read up on it and done some testing I discovered that the water pump was damaged (missing a huge chunk from between 2 vanes and leaking water down the shaft) and the heater element had burn marks on it. I have replaced both parts. We live in a hard water area and it had a significant build up of limescale too which I think I have now cleared. The machine ran perfectly for a little while after these repairs but has started to trip the RCD again. It does this after about 10 minutes at exactly the same moment each time (the initial fill has taken place and then it starts to run water into the powder drawer again). It runs perfectly on a cold cycle. Have you any ideas on what else could be wrong and what I should do next? Many thanks.
Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.
Hi sorry to hear that, thank you for the excellent description.
Can you tell me what cycle the program is in when it fails, maybe drain, spin etc?
Also how old is your washer?
Tech Michael
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It is still in the wash cycle - just 10 minutes in and does it on every programme less the cold one. It does it at around the 10 minute mark as it switches to do something - I was watching closely earlier and it had already filled and rotated the drum, then had just started to run water into the soap drawer. Will the heating element have been used before this?

The machine is a few years old - perhaps 5 or 6?

Ian

Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.
Thanks Ian,
Yes the heating element could cause this if its shorted, but in that case it would do it every time the element came on.
I don't believe thats the problem. This sounds more like a bad drain pump or the main control board.
Did your say you had replaced the drain/recirc pump?
Thanks Ian.
Mike
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, I replaced the pump with a new Bosch one, which seems to work well. The pipes were really packed with limescale and sludge too but we have taken them out and cleared them thoroughgly. There was a burn mark on the element that I replaced so I assumed that was the original problem or it was the pump. However both are new and original.

The only obvious problem left is the door seal which leaks a little and needs replacing but the dribbling water doesn't seem to go near anything electrical - and the cycle goes through perfectly on cold. Could it be the thermostat?

Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.
Hi thanks Ian,
If this is happening exactly at the same time when it blows the RCD, the problem will be the main control board.
But if it is different it would be the motor.
In almost every case with this model it turns out to be the main control board.
What happened is that the prior issue caused an overload that has damaged the control board.
Its easy enough to change out and I will assist if you need me but anyway the best place to get that is Espares.
Here are all their contact details:
Sales
0844 9777 888
After sales
0333 4007 888
Monday to Friday 8am to 6pm, Saturday 9am to 4pm, or 10am to 4pm on Bank Holidays
Calls to 0844 numbers are charged at 5p per minute including VAT from BT landlines, other networks and mobile companies may vary.
Calls to 03 numbers are charged at a local rate.
For security and training purposes, telephone calls may be recorded or monitored.
Outside the UK? Call us on: +44 (0) 20 7717 5046.
If you will rate my service to you thus far as ok or better, before closing this page, I will be able stick with you until this fixed.
Please note it won't cost you anything more to rate, and it WILL ensure your question won't time out or end unexpectedly, then you can always contact me the very same way at no additional cost;-)
Thank you Ian and have a wonderful day!
Tech Michael
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Michael,

Thank you. I will order a new control board and see how it goes. Many thanks.

Regards,

Ian

Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.
Hi Ian, your more than welcome, you can come back to me when you have the board if you need more help. I will be here no additional charge;-)
Have a great day!
Tech Michael
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Michael,

I am looking at the Bosch parts list and they don't list a control board. They have a Power Module and an Operating module (ME174A, BO). I presume that it is the latter that I need?

Regards,

Ian

Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.
Hi Ian it could be, and likely is, but thats why I sent you their phone contact info, it is always best to call them and let them reference that to their information;-)
I will be here when you need me.