Michael
Michael, Customer Service
Experience:  I have been an appliance repair tech for over 30 years and will help you solve your problems.
11519491

Hello I have an AEG 74640 washing machine and it is washing

Customer Question

Hello I have an AEG 74640 washing machine and it is washing on both 60 and 40 it starts and washes and rinses then stops and displays start time again without any error numbers but I can manually put it on drain and spin and it works but it refuses to complete the cycle wash - Can you help locate the problem?
Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.
Good morning,
Hi, this problem shows that the functions all work on the unit but the programmer is bad.
The main control board is what has failed, thats also why it isn't displaying any errors.
It pretty easy to replace with just a few hand tools and I will help you with that if you need.
If your washer is less than 1 year old please let me know as it would still be under warranty but otherwise you will need to purchase a new main control board to fix this issue.
The best place for you to get a new control board would be AEG parts and ACC.
Preston Road
Aycliffe Industrial Park
Newton Aycliffe
County Durham
DL5 6ED
Call us: 01325 302464
Mon - Thur: 8.30am - 5.00pm
Fri: 8.30am - 4.30pm
If you have further questions please feel free to ask me at anytime I will be here for you;-)
If you will rate my service to you thus far as ok or better, before closing this page, I will be able stick with you until this fixed.
Please note it won't cost you anything more to rate, and it WILL ensure your question won't time out or end unexpectedly, then you can always contact me the very same way at no additional cost;-)
Thank you and have a wonderful day!
Tech Michael
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi I have been looking at the AEG parts and now not sure which part I am actually looking for is it :- Control Panel or the Programmer - Looking at buying all these parts and the age of the washer I may now have to consider whether its financially viable to repair or purchase a new one and if the decision to purchase a new washer which one would you recommend as the one I have had is 15 years old

Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.
Hi what you need is the control panel.
it has all the parts already on it and is basically plug and play. It all has plugs, they only will fit in their designated places so you really can mess it up.
Just when you order make sure you get, and ask them, you want one with a preprogrammed IC is all;-)
I will be here , but you really need to call for this part, they will know what you need. i will help further if you need me, also if you rate kindly before closing this page, your question will be locked in with me and you can ask me anything about this at any time simply by replying to this message;-)
Tech Michael
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry Michael but does this part fit on the side of the machine or behind the control knob on the front panel of the machine?

The part is costly and wonder if it is cost effective as it has cost me £51 already - the part I looked at is £169

ps: You still didn't answer which washer you would recommend should I want to buy a new one

Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.
Hi Ed,
yes the part is up there in cost as it controls a lot. but it is the part of the whole control mech. Have you called on that yet?
they will know what you need when you give them the model # and tell them you need the control panel;-)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello Michael Just phoned AEG for the part and they now saying that the part is obsolete so no joy here. Thought you need to know in case somebody else rings for same part - thank you for your help but I think it might be financially viable to look to purchase a new machine sad to see this one go

Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.
Hi Ed, you know I am just as frustrated as you with things like this.
All the companies don't support things for very long anymore?
I don't get it either because they made a lot on parts.
But this really has become a throw away society, and I'm in the US, it doesn't matter anymore :-(
I really do feel for you. If I can locate a used panel would that help?
thanks Ed.
tech Michael
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Michael yes I agree we have become a a throw away society and this is why our landfill sites are so so full - I appreciate all your help but now have considered all and feel that a new machine is now a must - washing piling up and partner getting frustrated - its a no thank you for a used panel as I am about to look for a new machine for the partner and hope to get my lunch.

Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.
;-)
I understand thanks cuz from across the water;-)