Michael
Michael, Customer Service
Experience:  I have been an appliance repair tech for over 30 years and will help you solve your problems.
11519491

We have a Bosch fridge/freezer - not sure of model, it just

We have a Bosch fridge/freezer - not sure of model, it just says 'Cooler' on the front and is about 15 years old. The fridge door was left open for several hours and five hours after it was closed properly the temperature lights are still flashing, although the fridge and freezer appear to be working OK.
Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Hi I am sorry to hear that, I am Tech Michael
I will be helping you today.
Please be patient as these are technical issues and take some back and forth until we can be sure of all the details.
We want to be sure we can resolve your issues correctly and as fast as possible for you.
Is there any heavy frost on the rear wall inside the freezer?
Thank you for your patience!
Tech Michael
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No. Have just switched off fridge and wiped it down but there was hardly any frost.

Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
This may very well be a defrost issue and there are a few parts that will need to be checked and replaced. I usually tell most of my customers, once you are going through the trouble to take it all apart may as well replace the Defrost timer, the heater element and the sensor.
But before you spend money on any of that. You need to defrost the whole thing with the door open for 24 hours.
Then clean up any standing water. Next plug it back in and let me know what happens over the course of a week.
If it doesn't frost up Great no issues.
But if it does this again please let me know and I will direct you on where to get those parts and how to complete this. Sometimes even frost free units will do this depending on outside humidity and temp.
If you will rate my service to you thus far as ok or better, before closing this page, I will be able stick with you until this fixed.
Please note it won't cost you anything more to rate, and it WILL ensure your question won't time out or end unexpectedly, then you can always contact me the very same way at no additional cost;-)
Thank you and have a wonderful day!
Tech Michael
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Problem is that we are away for two months from 1/9 and do not want to lumber flat-minder with this problem. Is it worth getting someone in to replace defrost timer or just try to get a new fridge, bearing in mind that this one is quite old and has sounded laboured for some time.

Just opened fridge about 15 mins after switching it on again and a thin layer of frost is on back wall.

Also, are you suggesting we defrost just the fridge or freezer as well?

Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Hi Phil, I would have it looked at but it may not be the defrost timer, it may be the defrost heater, or the bimetal sensor as well, one of those three parts may be bad.
So yes considering you are away I would have it serviced. Its an expensive repair in any case;-)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

If it's an expensive repair, is buying a new fridge/freezer more sensible, if pricey?

Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Hi Phil, Im not sure if i was confusing you, ITS Not an Expensive repair, its just those three parts that make up the defrost system is all;-)
In this case I wouldnt look toward a new unit yet. As this is a common issue these days and really its become so routine lol;-)