JamesI
JamesI, Handyman
Experience:  I have repaired and maintained numerous items over the years, from fridges to freezers, radios to TV's.
75967336

I have an old style Franke davos mixer tap, the plastic aerator

Customer Question

I have an old style Franke davos mixer tap, the plastic aerator broke up, managed to remove it and got a spare but the spring inside the tap end is so strong that the new plastic can't grip the thread, there is very little thread anyway, only 3 windings, can I remove the spring loaded inner part and just screw in the aerator ?
Expert:  JamesI replied 3 years ago.
JamesInch :

Hi the spring loaded inner part is to keep tension and stop it unwinding.
You could look at cutting the spring to reduce the tension which is stopping the aerator from staying fitted.
The only other suggestion I can give is to wrap a piece of tape around the screw thread to give it more bite.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Not very practical, you can't get into the spring with enough room to cut it, I used PTFE tape which I would have used in any case.

Didn't really help much.