Michael
Michael, Customer Service
Experience:  I have been an appliance repair tech for over 30 years and will help you solve your problems.
11519491

Panasonic DVD/VCR Combination Freeview Recorder model

I have a Panasonic DVD/VCR Combination Freeview Recorder model DMR-EZ45VEBS,which failed to finalize my disc when instructed. Difficult to eject the disc and thereafter when I inserted a new disc or a commercial finalized disc, it kept saying "NoREAD" and the FUNCTION Menu did not show Playback, Format or Finalize. I retuned the DVD recorder a few times, but to no avail. How can I get back to recording and playing DVD discs?

Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Hi I am sorry to hear about that. The reason it doesn't want to eject is it is trying to finalize the disk but having trouble.
How old is your unit?
New channels wont affect this issue.But we will get to the bottom of this I promise.
Thank you tech Michael
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

My recorder is 7 years old. I did eventually eject my disc, but the main remaining problem is that I am unable to record, format or finalize a disc or play any DVD.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Relist: Answer came too late. No answer within specified times. In fact, I have not received a proper answer at all.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Please carry on to reply to my query, but keep me informed if there is going to be a delay.

Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Hi this is an issue that can be simply that the unit needs to be cleaned so the Laser heads can read the disk better.
Or it may need a new Disk drive.
Either one of these will cause this.
The first thing to try is a cleaning disk, a good quality one and complete reset of the system.
If that doesn't work we will look into replacing the drive which is easy and I will help you with that;-) Its easy enough requiring only a few basic hand tools.
I will also provide where you can get that.
If you will rate my service to you thus far as ok or better, before closing this page, I will be able stick with you until this fixed.
Please note it won't cost you anything more to rate, and it WILL ensure your question won't time out or end unexpectedly, then you can always contact me the very same way at no additional cost;-)
Thank you and have a wonderful day!
Tech Michael
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I don't have a cleaning disc and I don't know if I will be able to replace a drive, although the info. would be useful just in case. As it's a Bank Holiday Monday and I am a full-time carer for my father, I suspect that it would be easier for me to take it to a DVD repair shop when I have the time. Sadly, I will be missing a lot of good, recordable programmes in the meantime. I thought there might be a solution through the Menu and resetting the DVD player. It doesn't look as though I can do that, by your account. Let me know where I can get a good cleaning disc and how to replace a new drive. I think you have answered my question, but it's not a quick fix, sadly. By the way, where are the laser heads and how does one reset the system?

Thank-you Michael.

Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Hi most department stores and even Radio shack had the cleaning disk in stock, they aren't fool proof sometimes they work great sometimes not.
But its the first thing to try as it very well could be just that.
I have fixed many this way;-) As for replacing the drive(if we need to) its really easy if you follow my instructions. Also if today isn't good for you and you rate now before closing the page, i will be able to lock your question, no additional cost to you and we will get to the bottom of this.
tech Michael