JamesI
JamesI, Handyman
Experience:  I have repaired and maintained numerous items over the years, from fridges to freezers, radios to TV's.
75967336

Hi my Zanussi Electrolux Essential 1600 6kg wont run. When

Hi my Zanussi Electrolux Essential 1600 6kg wont run. When it finally allowed me to open the door it hadn't spun. I shut the door and set it to spin but nothing. Turning it off allows you to eventually open the door but I cant get it to go at all. All the lights are on.
Expert:  JamesI replied 2 years ago.
JamesInch :

This sounds like an serviceable issue to me, likely cause are electrical which could mean:
A Faulty Sensor
Brushes in the motor needing replacing
Poor wiring contact

There isnt a great deal which can be done without taking the machine apart, are you able to set it to the DRAIN program and see if it starts the pump, in most cases this would rule out a sensor fault.

However if the machine want even drain, its going to need an engineer visit to diagnose this further.

Customer:

The machine is relatively new so worn brushes seem unlikely. I would appreciate some help fixing it and am quite happy to take panels off etc. This is why I pay for this service.

Customer:

Hello?

JamesI, Handyman
Experience: I have repaired and maintained numerous items over the years, from fridges to freezers, radios to TV's.
Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Hi, I agree with this tech fully on this.
We can help you make this repair and get the parts if you would like, please let us know.
Tech Michael
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK lets just leave this open a little longer as I have found a repairman who says he will do it for £25 plus parts. If this doesn't work out I will ask for your help.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Michael, well I cant get this other guy to fix it as we're too far... I'm happy to get the screwdrivers out and try and fix it. I don't have a multimeter though, I'm not likely to need one am I?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello? Are we still connected on this topic?

Expert:  JamesI replied 2 years ago.
Without the correct equipment the only thing you can do is replace the most likely parts at fault and see if that fixes your issue.
It is advisable to find an engineer who can attend your home, since you could spend £100 on parts and still be changing parts to find the fault.
A multi-meter would at least check the voltage your getting out of the sensors, or prove your getting power to the key components (to rule out a poor contact).
If your confident its not the brushes in the motor, then it leaves
A Faulty Sensor, A Poor wiring contact between components or a fault main board.
The sensors can be manually activated\shorted to see if the machine will start but this is all very involved.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

if its any help when I set it to, say, drain, and press the start button there is a definite 'click' from within the machine after a second or so. Nothing happens subsequently though.

Expert:  JamesI replied 2 years ago.
The click is most likely the sound of the door lock engaging, I assume after the click you cant open the door, and then have to wait for it to power down before you can open it?
Allot of this is guess work I am afraid, it proves at least part of the main board is functioning (to some degree).
Another non technical thing you can do is put a couple of buckets of water in the washing machine, shut the door then put it on drain, this should trick the pump to start working and empty the water. If this doesnt work, I would say fairly confidently its a main board failure.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No it still has water in it. We did have some water backed up in the Dishwasher. Could a backup have tripped some kind of cut off possibly?

Expert:  Plumberpro replied 2 years ago.
If water is backed up then the problem could be a blocked waste pipe ,causing the machine to fail to pumpbaway and drain . you definitely need to check this first
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I did buy running the exit pipe into a buicket. Its still wont run. I just thought maybe if it HAD backed up maybe it flipped some cut out.

Expert:  JamesI replied 2 years ago.
Hi, there isnt a cut off which needs manually reset, they have auto resetting fuses\trip switches so that shouldnt be the fault.
It may be if the pipe was blocked the pump has burnt out, and the machine wont start if the pump doesnt respond, to stop you being in a position where the machine starts to fill but cant finish.
I would suggest you request an engineer to attend site, as this is most likely going to require a main board being replaced.
Expert:  JamesI replied 2 years ago.
Is there anything else I can help you with?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No I guess we've exhausted all the possibilities. Thanks,