Michael
Michael, Customer Service
Experience:  I have been an appliance repair tech for over 30 years and will help you solve your problems.
11519491

I have a Siemens IQ 1634 washing machine. I tried to open the

Customer Question

I have a Siemens IQ 1634 washing machine. I tried to open the door just after it started washing to add an extra item. It wouldn't open so I left it to finish. Now it still won't open.
Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Hi Sorry to hear that.
How old is your washer?
Please try this for me,
unplug the washer for 5 full minutes. Then try to reset the machine, but make sure it has drained or the door wont open either. Try a drain cycle also let me know if the machine will run cycles?
If that procedure works please rate kindly but if not, please do not rate yet but simply reply to me for further information.
Thank you for your patience.
Tech Michael
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The washer is about 10 years old

Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Hi have you followed my advice on unplugging the washer for a few minutes to see if it will reset the door lock?
Tech Michael
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Should I plug it back in again before trying the door?

Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Hi yes it needs to be plugged in.
If it still wont open run a drain cycle.
Please let me know what happens.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It went through the drain cycle and the display said to remove washing but it still won't open

Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for that.
The problem is that the door lock mechanism has failed.This part needs to be replaced to fix this. Its easy to do requiring only a few basic hand tools and I will help if you want to do this
The best place to get the replacement part is Espares.
I have listed all their contact information below for you.
If you will rate my service to you thus far as ok or better, before closing this page, I will be able stick with you until this fixed.
Please note it won't cost you anything more to rate, and it WILL ensure your question won't time out or end unexpectedly, then you can always contact me the very same way at no additional cost;-)
Thank you and have a wonderful day!
Tech Michael
Sales
0844 9777 888
After sales
0333 4007 888
Monday to Friday 8am to 6pm, Saturday 9am to 4pm, or 10am to 4pm on Bank Holidays
Calls to 0844 numbers are charged at 5p per minute including VAT from BT landlines, other networks and mobile companies may vary.
Calls to 03 numbers are charged at a local rate.
For security and training purposes, telephone calls may be recorded or monitored.
Outside the UK? Call us on: +44 (0) 20 7717 5046.
Also please let me know if you need to get the door open now.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I need some more options for getting the door open first. Presumably I would have to do that to replace the part anyway.

Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Hi well you can tip the machine to a 90 degree angle and reach up and release the lock manually. Replacing it requires a bit more disassembley.
Also see if yours has a cord you can pull at the bottom of the machine. I will stick with you.
Tech Michael
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The bottom of the machine is sealed.

There is a red pull-chord to the right of where the pump is located - I've tried pulling this but nothing happens. I don't want to pull too hard.

Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Thats what I figured.
The only way to open this one is to force the door open, you will need to order a new lock and striker plate, both easy to replace. I will help you do that once you have the parts. Remember Espares is the best for this as far and cost, reliability and they ship the same day in almost all cases;-)
Please rate kindly at this time so I can be sure your question will not time out or close and we can stay in contact until this is fixed.
Tech Michael
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I've checked the espares site. There seem to be various ones and it isn't clear which I need. Can you tell me the part numbers?

Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Hi the part # ***** ***** you need to get from them, They will cross reference that for you. Thats why I sent you their phone info as you really need to call them on this. It will also make sure you get the correct part the first time ;-)
They are very reliable but please call them on this.
Tech Michael
Please rate kindly.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I'm ordering the part.

I'll give you a good rating but please let me have an out line of how to change the latch in case the contact is lost as I won't receive it until tomorrow.

Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Hi once you rate, you will NOT lose contact with me.
You can then reach me by simply replying to any of our messages ;-)
Basically the front needs to come off to replace this lock system.
I will help you then.
Thank you and have a great day!
Tech Mike
Michael, Customer Service
Experience: I have been an appliance repair tech for over 30 years and will help you solve your problems.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I've ordered the part. I'd like to get the door open now so I can get the washing out. Can you tell me the best way please.

Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Hi first remove the top, there should be screws at top rea of the top cover.
Then the top needs to slide back a bit and then you can lift it off.
Once that is off please let me know if you can see the lock and reach in to release it.
But on that model, in most cases as I mentioned the best thing to do is to force the door open. It will break the catch and the lock but thats already bad.
Its really the best way with this machine as silly as that sounds.
Tech Michael