Daniel T.
Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

hotpoint mistral plus frost free fridge freezer.

Hi. I have a hotpoint mistral plus frost free fridge freezer. It has become very noisy and there is nearly always a build up of water on top of freezer door and water/condensation on the outside of the top of the freezer part (which is at the bottom). I had it repaired about 18months ago and it was told it was the thermometer but its the same problem again. It cannot regulate its own setting.  I have to turn it up or down depending on the weather.df Ive had it for a few years now. Is it worth me getting it repaired or should I just go for a new one this time. Thankyou for your time. Jacci.  PS I should add that a while after this problem started the rubber seal down the side of the fridge has become split a little but only after this problem started.  I don't know if it's aggravated the problem.

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.

Can you post the model number please.

Also is the compressor at the back of the appliance at the bottom hot to touch?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Daniel. Sorry I've taken so long to get back to you. The model no. is 8596 and yes. The compressor does get got. I've just found the manual and I bought this appliance in 2004. It's had the same repair twice in the last 4 years. They replaced the thermostat I believe both times? Thanks. Jacci

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.

Going of the model the thermistors do fail a lot. These are located inside the freezer section behind the rear panel. Theres 2 on there a green and a yellow thermistor. To check these you need to remove the rear panel inside the freezer and you will see the wiring blocks at the top right corner. Disconnect both the green and yellow blocks and test them. It should give a reading in Kohms. If any are faulty then you need to replace them.

But another thing you can try first is a full defrost. Empty the appliance and turn it off for 24 hours and leave the freezer door open.

Then retry it and see how it goes from there. As it could just be a blocked drain channel that's caused this and a defrost will cure it.

Try the above first and see what you find and let me know.

Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Daniel. I am sor sorry I havn't replied sooner. My father's been taken ill and I've also got workmen in so I'm rushing around and don't know what I'm doing half the time. I will get my son to try your suggestions and will let you know as soon as we have done it. Please bear with me if I take a little while to get my son here to do it and get back to you but thankyou very much for your time and patience and help. Jacci

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Daniel. It's taken a while waiting for my son to sort it for me, but your suggestions seem to have done the trick! The fridge freezer is quite noisy - a bit louder than before I think, but is working well for now so it will last a bit longer. Thankyou so much for your help. I'm really happy that I got in touch with you. Jacci

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.

Glad to hear its sorted and thanks for letting me know how it went.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Daniel. The fridge freezer does seem to be working a bit better but I'm thinking about getting a new door seal for fridge part as the condensation does still happen on the outside occasionallly. Thankyou for your enquiry. Jacci