Daniel
Daniel, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

we have an admiral fridge freezer model GC2224GEKB. Yesterday

Customer Question

we have an admiral fridge freezer model GC2224GEKB.
Yesterday both compartments appeared to getting warmer. We have turned the thermostat to coldest but the upper compartments of both the fridge and freezer are not responding. We have emptied the freezer and placed a bowl of water in the lower shelf which has frozen.
The vegetable drawers seem to be staying chilled but the middle and higher shelves are not.
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.

Ok if the top section of each side isn't cooling then its either the fan motor inside the freezer isn't circulating the air or the evaporator in there is blocked up with to much ice.

What you need to do is empty the freezer and from there remove the rear panel in the bottom half at the back.

Behind this is the evaporator. If its all blocked up with ice you need to use a hairdryer and melt all the ice in there.

Once that's fully clear retry the appliance again and this should get it going again.

But if you don't want to go removing panels then you need to empty the freezer and turn the appliance off for 24 hours and keep the freezer door open. This will allow the ice in there to melt itself and clear it.

Then retry it and see how it goes. If it happens again in say 3 weeks time then you have a defrost issue on there which may be a faulty defrost heater or thermal cut out. You need to test each of them with a multi meter and see if faulty.

But try the defrost first as fingers crossed this will cure the fault. Let me know how it goes or if you need anymore info just get back to me.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your reply. I will try your suggestion about turning the device off.

How do I contact you with any further questions?

Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.

No worries the full 24 hours defrost should sort it.

You will have an email and on there is a link back to this thread so you can reply to me anytime.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

This hasn't worked!

Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.

Ok how did you defrost it?

Did you remove the panels or turn it off?

If you removed the panels was there a lot of ice behind there?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I turned it off and waited 28 hrs

Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.

Ok what you need to do is empty the freezer and remove the back panel.

From there you will see the evaporator. Check to see if theres any frost on there.

Also check to see if the fan inside the freezer there is running as well.