Daniel
Daniel, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

I have an AEG A 75100 GA freezer (but see below) which is supposed

Customer Question

I have an AEG A 75100 GA freezer (but see below) which is supposed to defrost itself. However, over time there has been a large build-up of ice and the self-defrost system does not appear to be working. The door is sealed tight, so there is no leakage there.
The instruction leaflet says ' The ventilator is in the OFF position.', but I don't know where to locate this switch, if there is one, to know whether it is in the 'ON' or 'OFF' position.
I'm not sure whether the model is the 'A 75100 GA4' or the 'A 75106 GA' model. The instructions appear to relate to both models but I cannot see from the appliance itself which model it is.
Please help.
R M Summers
*****@******.***
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.

Have you tried defrosting the freezer yourself?

If so did it work for a while and then build up with ice again?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I haven't. But that's not the answer. It is supposed to self-defrost. And what is meant by 'The ventilator is in the 'OFF position'?' in the instruction manual? I can't find any such switch.

Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.

Ok just wanted to check that's all as i know what the fault will be here as ive seen it loads of times.

The drain hole at the back will be blocked so what happens when it goes into defrost mode the water cannot drain out so it builds up and up and causes a big block of ice behind the rear panel.

Even though its frost free it does frost over then a heater comes on and melts the ice that's how it keeps it a frost free. But sometimes if you can get a fault in there like either a faulty defrost heater or a blocked drain it causes the ice in there to build up and the start causing trouble in there.

As you are looking for a switch for the ventilator as per the manual there isn't a switch.

What the manual means is when the control board tells the appliance to go into defrost mode the control board turns the ventilator off itself its not something you need to do as this is a full electronic controlled appliance it does it itself so theres no switch in there you need to mess with.

As to the fault you have theres 2 things you need to do. Either empty it and turn it off and leave the freezer door open for 24 hours and allow it to defrost itself.

Or empty the appliance and remove the rear panel inside the freezer and from there use a hairdryer to melt the ice away.

Once that's all clear you will see the drain hole in the bottom of the drain gutter. Poke something in there and pore water in there and make sure it drains out ok.

Once that's all clear refit the rear panel and turn the appliance back and this will cure the fault from there.

If you need anymore info just get back to me.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK, thanks. I haven't got time now. I'll try tomorrow.

Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
No worries just post back when ever you check it out.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Unfortunately, I am unable to remove the back panel as it is not screwed in but secured by some form of nut for which, presumably, a special tool is required.

Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.

They are 7mm screw heads so if you have a small socket set you need the 7mm socket to remove it.

But failing this you can just unplug it and leave it off for 24 hours with the door left open and it will do the same job it will just take longer that's all.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I can't know whether your solution works until I get hold of the necessary tool. I'll get back to you when I have this and have tried to fix the freezer
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.

No worries that's fine just check it out and then get back to me

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Please stop bombarding me with emails. I will rate the advice as soon as I am able to carry out the solution you have suggested. It may take a few days.
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.

Im not bombarding you. Every time you reply to me I have to reply back otherwise the questions stays on my page and doesn't let me go any further so you don't need to reply to this until you have checked it out.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK. But every hour I get an email from JustAnswer. It's driving me mad!

Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.

Ok that side I don't know as I just answer the questions I don't send emails out.

I know while the question is open it does send reminders but didn't know they send them that often. Just ignore them if you can until you have checked it out then just get back to me.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK. I certainly will respond once I have had the chance to attempt your solution, but it may take a few days.

Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
No worries don't worry about the delay im on here 7 days a week nearly.