Daniel
Daniel, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

The red light on our proline freezer is on? What should be

The red light on our proline freezer is on? What should be do?
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.

Can you post the model number please.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry I can't get the model number! So, I presume with no information, you won't be able to help me.

Please don't worry!

Sylvia

Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.

Ok we can still help that's not a problem a model number would have just let me see the appliance you have.

Is this just a freezer only?

Is it frost free?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes just an upright freezer. No, not a frost free freezer!

Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.

Ok feel the compressor at the back of the appliance if you can and see if its hot to touch.

As if the red light is on it means the temperature in there is getting warmer so its warning you theres a problem.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

We are just trying to pull it out of the cupboard to look at the back, iI'll be back soon.

Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
Ok no worries.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK pulled it out and the transformer is hot.

It also has the following informaiton

NECCHI

PAVIA ITALY

ESM5

R12

220-240 V

50 HZ

THEN INSIDE A TRIANGLE 01

30044

Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.

Ok not good news im afraid. As the compressor is hot and this isn't a frost free appliance its looking like a system fault.

Either it has a blockage in the system or a poor pumping compressor. For either of these you need to get a fridge engineer in as they will need to put there gauges on the pipe work at the back and from there they will be able to see what pressure the compressor is pumping at.

But this is a cheap repair as a regas and a blockage clearance is about the £120-150 mark and a new compressor fitted is about the £250 mark so you tend to find on faults like this its not worth fixing.

Sorry its not good news but if you need anymore info just get back to me.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My husband has managed to pull out the top of the control switch on the front of the freezer, with tweezers and pliers, and get the broken bit out He is now able to turn the switch and is now getting the red & ***** *****ght on together. We do not have the instruction book that would have come with the freezer and cannot see which way to turn to get the green light and normal. Do you have access to this information please?

Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.

The ***** *****ght is for the fast freeze.

But the red light is telling you the freezer temperature is getting above -13 degs so its telling you theres a fault in there. The green light will only come on when t goes below that temperature again as it needs to be about -18 degs.

So its faulty that's why the red light is on this is just a basic freezer you just plug in and leave. As the red light is on the green light wont until the fault is sorted to allow the freezer to get back down to -18 degs again.

Now this is a long shot but you can try and turn it off and defrost it for 24 hours and then turn it back on and see how it goes from there. If it doesn't reach the temperature then its as above im afraid.