Daniel
Daniel, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

We have a Samsung fridge/freezer for about 4 years. During

We have a Samsung fridge/freezer for about 4 years. During this week the fridge part was left open(ajar) overnight. It is now not cooling at all, although the freezer part underneath is working fine. We have tried unplugging the device and turning it back on but this is not fixing the problem.
It is a serious issue for us--we are losing food! Can you help please?
Albert
Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.

Can you post the model number please.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The instruction booklet only has one reference---DA99-01220A . Ours is the basic(non electronic/digital display model.

Does this help?

Albert

Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.

Ok is this a side by side appliance?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No--the fridge is on top and the freezer underneath. they are same dimensions.

Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.

Ok what happens when a door is left open is the appliance works over time trying to get the fridge and freezer to the set temperature. As the door is open then it wont reach it so what happens is the evaporator inside the freezer builds up with to much as the compressor is just pumping all the time and this then stops the air flow around the appliance.

To way to fix this is either empty the appliance and turn it off for 24 hours and leave the freezer door open and this will allow the evaporator to defrost itself and that should sort the fault out.

Or empty the freezer and from there remove the rear panel inside the freezer and use a hairdryer and melt all the ice on the evaporator and then see how it goes from there.

Once its all defrosted this will allow the air to circulate fully around the appliance and get the fridge section working again.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I will turn the device off for 24 hours as you suggested and the see if that fixes it.

I assume that payment wont be expected until I see whether the problem is fixed.

Albert

Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.

Try the defrost for 24 hours and im pretty sure that will sort it.

And as to the payment side yes you only rate when you are ready to so try the defrost first then get back to me and let me know how it goes.