Daniel T.
Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

I have an old AEG ceramic hob which has just started clicking

I have an old AEG ceramic hob which has just started clicking today. I did a search on the net but cant find anything helpful.
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.

Do you have the model number please.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

no, im afraid I don't, it was installed before I moved in.

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.

Ok is this a full electronic controlled hob or does it have a switch for each hob?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Its a gas hob and has separate knobs for each hob

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.

Ok im with you know so its the spark lead on each hob that's clicking is this correct?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I don't know, I just hear a continual clicking but there is no sparks coming out.

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.

Ok if its clicking but no visable spark then what it may be is a faulty spark lead.

As what can happen on gas hobs is a spark lead my wear under the hob so what happens is it shorts out against the metal work of the casing under the hob and causes the sparking.

If you can turn the power supply to the hob and see if the clicking stops. If it does then its either one of the spark leads at fault or the spark generator that creates the spark is the problem. As it can only be them that can cause a clicking noise in there.

If you are looking at fixing this yourself you need to remove all the burners on the hob and the control knobs.

Then remove the all the screws around each burner and then you can lift the hob top off.

From there plug it in and very carefully watch it and see if any of the white spark leads are sparking under there. If so then you need to replace the faulty lead.

But if the leads are all ok listen too see if the noise is coming from the spark box and if so then that will need to be replaced.

Check them out and see what you find. But for a clicking noise its usually either the spark lead or the spark generator that causes this.

If you need anymore info just get back to me.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I cannot find a plug anywhere or I would have turned it off already.

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.

Ok the plug I cannot help on as im not there but the cable isn't long so it will be in a cubboard next to the hob or if there is an oven below the hob then its more then likely behind that if you cannot see it.

But to test it you can turn it off at your fuse box if you have a fuse for the oven/hob only.

Reards

Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I'm going to have to look at this in the morning, as the fuse is not listed and I cant switch them all off and back on again. andf there is no plug anywhere near it, ive looked. once I have done this and followed your instructions I will rate it.

thank you.

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.

No worries that's fine.

Good luck with it and fingers crossed you will find the plug.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I followed your instructions but can't find how to separate the hob from the cover, it seems to be one unit. I have removed all the screws but it doesn’t separate.