Daniel T.
Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

Hi my rl41wgtb fridge doesnt seem to be cooling correctly

Hi my rl41wgtb fridge doesn't seem to be cooling correctly the fridge bulb blew so I replaced it the main plug fuse had also blown which I replaced the fridge temp reads 14 whilst the freezer seems to be OK
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.

Ok if the freezer is fine but the fridge isn't then as this is a frost free the fridge gets its cooling from the freezer section.

What you need to do is empty the freezer and remove the back panel. From there you will see the evaporator. If this is blocked with ice you need to use a hairdryer and melt all the ice in there.

Then refit the panels and retry the appliance and see how it goes from there.

But if you don't want to go removing panels then you can empty it and turn it off and leave the freezer door open for 24 hours and this will allow the ice in there to melt.

Then retry it and see how it goes from there and let me know.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have just checked it again and it looks like the freezer is not working fridge reads 14 and the freezer 4
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.

Ok if you feel the compressor at the back at the bottom is this running?

Is it hot?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No its not running and is not hot

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No the compressor is not running and is not hot
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.

Ok if its not running at all and if the light blow the fuse its possibley also blown the control board.

Look on the back and locate the control board. Remove it and have a look and see if theres any signs of burning on there as from what you say if the compressor isn't running and with the light blowing I think you may find the fault is with the main electronic control board here.

Let me know what you find.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi i have just checked the control board on the top of the fridge everything looks ok no signs of anything that has blown
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.

Ok if that looks ok then you need to check to see if you have power going to the compressor.

You need to remove the plastic cover on the side of it and from there locate the black wire towards the top of the other wiring. Check with your meter and see if theres 230v there. If there is then its possibley the relay protector which the wire pushes onto or the compressor itself.

But if theres no power there then its going to be an electronic control fault whoch is more then likely the main control board.

You can check the board on the door but for this fault its more the main board here but there is that chance it can be the board in the door. As you cannot really test a control board unless you go down to componment level which we don't. We just replace the boards.

Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi daniel i have checked the black cable into the compressor and there is no power do you think its the main control board? Thanks
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.

Yes its more then likely the main board as this is what sends the power down to the compressor.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thankyou Daniel looks like i will be busy tomorrow many thanks