Jon
Jon, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Home appliance technician with over 12 years experience.
60802242

Whirlpool AFG3680 upright freezer (8 years old) has started

Whirlpool AFG3680 upright freezer (8 years old) has started beeping continuously after it was open for a relatively long time for cleaning a couple of days ago. The temperature has been back to normal for some while, so it is not that. The beeping stops if I close the door very firmly, but it starts again after a little while. I wonder about the door seal, which has a split in it. Your advice would be much appreciated.
Expert:  Jon replied 2 years ago.
Jon : Hello
Jon : My name is ***** ***** I am an authorized whirlpool service tech and I can help you today.
Jon : This is actually a pretty common problem with this and many other model machines.
Jon : Especially when the door is left open for longer periods of time.
Jon : Just make sure first that the door is fully closing. If it is make sure the gasket is not completely rippers or torn to the point where warm air outside the machine will be coming inside.
Jon : If there is any warmer air getting into the machine it will recognize that and send the alarm off.
Jon : It is good that the temp has not gone up though. So you will probably find the gasket is ok. All you will need to do is unplug the machine for ten minutes to reset the control board.
Jon : sometimes, again when a door is left open for a period of time, it will short the control. And all you should need to do is reset it.
Jon : try that out and if it works great. But if not get back to me here and I will help you more.
Jon : Thanks.
Customer:

Thanks, ***** ***** try turning it off for ten minutes and will get back to you for further advice if I need to.

Customer:

Hi Jon. I tried turning it off at the mains for 15 minutes and turning it back on, but the beeping restarted. As I thought about it I concluded that there must be something else going on because the beeping has stopped temporarily when the door is shut hard. I tried putting tape over the small tear in the seal, but this didn't work, and I've just tried silicone lubricant: this has stopped the beeping, but I don't know for how long. If it doesn't solve the problem permanently is it relatively easy for an average DIYer like me to replace the seal? Is there any web-based guidance on how to do this? And where would I get the seal? If you could give me a part number and a website for me to source it, I would be very grateful.

Customer:

The silicone didn't work for long, and I have looked at the seal again. In addition to the small tear I can see considerable additional damage in another location and feel I need to replace the seal.

Customer:

I found the following part referred to as a 'magnetic door seal': is this the right one? http://www.espares.co.uk/product/es698371/refrigerator-magnetic-door-seal?PartTypeId=1548&ModelId=707907

Customer:

Is there a cheaper website you use, as £75 is a lot of money for such a part?

Jon :

i am here. sorry for the delay.

Jon :

ok so if the reset didn't work and we know the silicone worked briefly we know for sure the door gasket will need to replaced.

Jon :

I'll get the info for you and tell you where to get it and tell you how to easily install it. bright back with the info.

Jon :

below is an image just click on that image to get the parts info

Jon :

on your ref all you will need to do is pull the gasket off at one corner and peal it off all the way around.

Jon :

Then fit the grooved side into the door frame all the way around. Making sure that gasket/ seal is in the door properly.

Jon :

then just make sure the door fully closes and monitor it.

Jon :

if the door alarm continues to go off then we know the main control and possibly the door switch as well.

Jon :

But you should find that after the gasket is replaced it should fix the issue.

Jon :

just get back to me here if you have any other questions and I will help you more.

Jon :

thanks

Jon :

I must also mention that some model freezers will have a set of screws that go all the way around the door frame that hold in the gasket to the door frame. so if you can't pull the door gasket off easily then you have a model that has the set screws holding the gasket in place.

Jon :

if this is the case you will need to fold the gasket back to expose the screws hidden behind the gasket. now starting on the top, unscrew the screws one at time about 3/4 to 1 1/4 turn. DONT COMPLETELY REMOVE THE SCREWS. just loosen them enough so the gasket will come loose. Then go all around the door frame and pull the gasket off.

Jon :

Then set the new gasket in place by sliding the groove side of the gasket in place in the door starting at the top and screw in the screws securing the gasket. then repeat this all the way around the door.

Jon :

below is a good video showing you how to do this. It may not be the same model freezer as yours but most of the upright freezers and gaskets are the same so this video should help.

Jon :

just click on the image below to open and view the video.

Jon :

click on the image above and view the video then get back to me after trying it out on your machine after ordering and receiving the door gasket. I will help you more if you need it.

Jon :

And if you feel that I have helped to answer your questions please be sure to rate my performance positively below this chat with ok service or better. And if you have more questions please get back to me here at any time and I will help you more for no additional charge.

Jon :

thanks again and please let me know how you do.

Jon, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Home appliance technician with over 12 years experience.