KevinWhiteJA
KevinWhiteJA, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Worked on appliances for more than 15 years
70193065

Hi, we have a Miele W865 washing machine. recently the machine

Hi, we have a Miele W865 washing machine. recently the machine appears to fill with some water, to run for a while and then the 'check inlet' red light comes on and the machine stops. I have checked and cleaned out the water main inlet hose and filter and the same for the filter at the entry point into the machine. I have also checked the water pressure coming through the hose and this seems adequate.
Sometimes the machine runs for a longer period but then the same fault light comes on and the machine stops.
Any advice, please?
Clive
Expert:  KevinWhiteJA replied 2 years ago.
KevinWhiteJA :

Hi, welcome to Just answer

KevinWhiteJA :

How old is it ?

Customer:

Hi, to be frank I am not sure but I suppose 7 or 8 years old, maybe more. My wife is out and she probably knows exactly.

KevinWhiteJA :

OK no problem

KevinWhiteJA :

have you already checked the water inlet hose and tried to clean the inlet valve and hose ?

KevinWhiteJA :

OK just checked you have already done that

Customer:

Yes, more than once.

KevinWhiteJA :

You will have to check the pressure switch for this washer

Customer:

Ok - where is it?

KevinWhiteJA :

there is a thin hose attached to this pressure switch

KevinWhiteJA :

you will have to clean that hose

KevinWhiteJA :

the pressure switch is located inside the front of the unit

KevinWhiteJA :

after you have cleaned the thin hose attached to it then give some taps on that switch with the back of screw driver

Customer:

Ok is the hose just inside the open door?

Customer:

I will go and see if I can locate it.

KevinWhiteJA :

a moment please...checking for a image that I can show you

Customer:

Not found. An image will be helpful.

KevinWhiteJA :

You will have to open the front, the small hose (thin tube) should be on the right hand side after the front is opened

KevinWhiteJA :

try to clean that thin tube and then try the washer...it should be solved after this is done

Customer:

When you say open the front do you mean open the door or remove the front or part of it?

KevinWhiteJA :

sorry I mean remove the front part

Customer:

Thanks, ***** ***** a look.

KevinWhiteJA :

If you have further questions I will be pleased to assist you – please use the REPLY link for further assistance..Please remember to RATE my answer Excellent or Good Service when you are satisfied....Thanks

Customer:

I managed with great difficulty to disassemble the front of the machine sufficiently to get at the hose and pressure switch. The hose appeared to be clean and not blocked and the water coming through the hose appeared quite clear. I firmly tapped the rear of the pressure switch a few times and then reassembled. Following that I ran one of the programs we use quite a lot. All was well for quite a time, much longer than before I followed your instructions but then the 'check inlet' light returned and the problem appears to have reasserted itself. However, logically, your advice seems to be on the right lines as there certainly was a longer time prior to the fault returning. If you have further advice I will be glad to hear from you.

Customer:

I think your advice was good, thank you, ***** ***** will be giving you a good rating. I am now offline.

KevinWhiteJA :

OK, if you have already cleaned everything and also cleaned the thin tube after removing it then the problem is with this pressure sensor which will need replacement...may be you can try to blow some air on it and see if the problem gets resolved...

KevinWhiteJA :

If you have further questions I will be pleased to assist you – please use the REPLY link for further assistance..Please remember to RATE my answer Excellent or Good Service ....Thanks

Customer:

My wife asked a Miele engineer to visit, who came today, Saturday, with his diagnostic kit. His diagnosis is that the drum needs replacing. In fairness, he only charged a proportion of the call out fee. According to my wife the machine is 15 years old so we have had pretty good value.

Customer:

Thanks again.

Customer:

I did rate you on Thursday night - does it need to be done again?

KevinWhiteJA :

Yes because it was not rated earlier :)

KevinWhiteJA :

KevinWhiteJA, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Worked on appliances for more than 15 years