Plumberpro
Plumberpro, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Heating and hot water heating appliances experienced
77408428

I am getting hot water on my Ferroli Modena 27C He, but the

I am getting hot water on my Ferroli Modena 27C He, but the central heating will not come on. I have not used the central heating function through the summer
Expert:  Plumberpro replied 2 years ago.
Plumberpro :

Hi . do you use a separate room stat and programmer ?

Customer:

I have a thermostat on the living room wall and no remote controller.

Plumberpro :

Ok , thanks . I take it you have turned the stat to Max . do you have any fault codes on boiler display?

Plumberpro :

Hi . dobyouvhave want fault codes on the boiler display. If not there are a couple of things it could be but I need you to check a couple of things at the boiler

Customer:

yes have been to max and no change. no fault codes on boiler

Ok . on the boiler control on the boiler itself is the heating turned up to Max, is 80 ish ?

Hot water is the top and heating at bottom . use arrows to ADUST

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The max seems to be 70. I press the minus button and it comes down but when I press the plus button it won't go higher than 70

Check system pressure is at 1 to 1.5 bar

Ok . the pump within the boiler does only the central heating which is unusual in a combo , but helpful for us ,because if it is not running when there is a demand for heating then it will be the pump . if you can take off the front cover . you may be able to tell if its running. If its red hot , it is seized and burning out . if it humming it may be stuck and you may be able to free it, by opening thew bleed screw and giving it a spin . I can go through it with you . however I am not around between 7.30 and 9.40 pm .before and after is fine .

If its not the pump it is like to be either the flow switch or temp sensors

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

When I turned the bleed screw water came out. not so fast but it was continuous. Then suddenly the boiler started for 10 or 20 secs then stopped again

Ok .what is the pressure gauge reading ?it may be that air had good into he system or that the air release valve within the boiler is faulty or closed
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It is between 1 and 1,5 . Under the boiler cabinet is the yellow key which is turned on. Then there are two black knobs to the right and earlier yesterday I found the left hand knob was screwed down but the right hand one was open

Ok .did you get mine about air release valve? Just above or behind the pump is the air release valve .is there a screw capnon it?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes but I don't know where the air release valve is or what to do with it

Ok . normally to release air caught in the boiler system it is released through a one way valve . on your boiler its is either on the pump or just behind it. Sometimes there is a cap that needs to be opened . if there is no cap then the air release valve is faulty and needs changing.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am sorry mate but there is nothing in the manual that says air release valve so I am gonna ask a gas fitter to come round. sorry and thanks for trying.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Had another look. there is a red screw cap above the pump and it is set at No. 3

I've had a lookin the manual and its there item 36 on page 29 also item 36 on page 28. That may be the safety valve .look on the other side of pump , to right

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

is it a grey knob with a grip on it just to the right of the red knob (which i think is the safety valve)?

Is it small , like a car tyre cap?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, what do I do with it and for how long?

All you do is turn it to the left ,anti clockwise. Hopefully you will hear air coming out and this should clear out the air from system . you may have to top but the pressure after if there is a lot if air . leave the cap open if it was closed . it won't let water out , just air as it has a little floiat inside
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I turned it open but heard no sound of air. turned it off then opened it again. still no sound

Ok undo cap until its virtually off . no water will come out and run the heating . the cap can be removed ,

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

i get the undo the cap bit but not thenext bit. how do i run the heating?

Just turn your programmer/room stat on , how you bwould normally . do you use the bottom arrows on the boiler controller?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

the stat has been on all the time. the bottom arrows, actually plus/minus signs take my temp to a max of 70

Is the pump running/hot
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

not running and not hot

Ok, try bleeding the pump again how you did before, leave the air release cap undone . I am make it the room stat is up .

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

You told me before to leave it undone so i have done that already. now when i bled the pump water just kept coming out

Yes I did meant leave the air release cap off and to undo pump bleed cap . ok . now I need you to check the pump is turning by undoing the bleed screw on pump and take it out and put a Phillips screw driver in side till you either feel the pump spinning or not . it won't be much water . use a towel to soak up ewater . this will confirm whether the pump is working or has seized .if it isn't spinning then use the screwdriver to turn it clockwise to try and get it unsiezed .
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

no that doesn't work. I am going to call a gas fitter. Thanks for trying.

Ok, best of luck