KevinWhiteJA
KevinWhiteJA, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Worked on appliances for more than 15 years
70193065

We have a Bosch fridge freezer. Model = KGU32163GB. Age =

We have a Bosch fridge freezer. Model = KGU32163GB. Age = 11 years.
This worked well until July 2014, when for 1 week it struggled to freeze below -5C (although bottom of freezer was nearer -10C using remote thermocouple).
Seemed to self cured (after turning on/off, cleaning back fins, re-setting temp, etc)
More recently, (mid-Aug to date) fridge-freezer has been making loud, metallic motor-grinding noises, often for sustained periods (over 1 hour). Noise appears to be coming from back of freezer, not from the compressor. However, it is maintaining a temp of -20C for freezer and +4C for fridge.
Any likely cause and quick-fix solutions?
Expert:  KevinWhiteJA replied 2 years ago.
KevinWhiteJA :

Hi, welcome to Just answer

KevinWhiteJA :

After reading everything described in the question the problem seems to be with the freezer fan motor that is bad and will need replacement

KevinWhiteJA :

a new one will cost around £90

KevinWhiteJA :

Please don't rate the solution till the time you are completely satisfied...If you have further questions I will be pleased to assist you – please use the REPLY link for further assistance..Please remember to RATE my answer Excellent or Good Service when you are satisfied....Thanks

Customer:

Customer:

Two follow up questions... (1) would the £90 be for the fan only or for fan + installation, (2) how long would one normally expect a Bosch F-F to last? I'm wondering if it is worth spending a lot on repair if other things are likely to break down over next few years?

KevinWhiteJA :

£90 is just for the part + labor cost...usually they last 10-15 years...looking at the age of unit its better to buy a new one than to spend £200 on this, but these are just my thoughts ... it will depend on your budget...

KevinWhiteJA :

If you have further questions I will be pleased to assist you – please use the REPLY link for further assistance..Please remember to RATE my answer Excellent or Good Service ....Thanks