Daniel
Daniel, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

Washing machine running hot

I have recently moved house and re-connected the washing machine to hot & cold water pipes. Now it seems to be running very hot when only on a 40 deg C cycle. Why?

Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.

If you set the washer going on a rinse only cycle open the drawer when its filling and feel the water. See if its hot or cold and let me know.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Its getting hot.

Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.

Ok the pipes are the wrong way round as on rinse it should be cold water only.

Pull the washer out and reverse the water pipes round and this should cure the fault. You may find the taps have the wrong color tap on. Ive found this loads of times were the cold tap has the red one on it and the hot has the cold. Ive done it myself.

So just reverse the water pipes round and this will sort it out for you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The red one comes off the pipe that goes to the hot water tap and the blue one comes off the cold wtare tap pipe. Below the connections tot eh washing machine, the "red" pipe is warm and the "blue" pipe is cold so I don't think this is the case. What else could it be?

Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.
But if you say its hot water going on on rinse it has to have the hot water connected to the cold valve as only cold water goes in on a rinse cycle. If you say its hot then the hot water pipe is connected to the cold valve.

If looking at the washer at the back the cold pipe should be on the right and the hot on the left.

Just double check them and see what you find.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Blue left and red right (looking at it from the back of the machine) - guess they are the wrong way round???? I have never taken them off at the back of the machine and it didn't get too hot at the previous flat.

Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.

They are the wrong way round. Swap them over and that will cure it.

The water supply at your last place may have been the worng way round on the house supply otherwise you would have noticed it just like you have now.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you I have switched them around and re-running the rinse cycle which is now taking on cold water. Well done thanks!!! Hopefully when I wash jerseys now they won't come out steaming as they did earlier!!!!

Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.
Nice one this should be fine now and will rinse in cold water as it should now.