Plumberpro
Plumberpro, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Heating and hot water heating appliances experienced
77408428

The ignition lights on 2 of my gas rings remain lit when tirned

The ignition lights on 2 of my gas rings remain lit when tirned off,& although the rings do ignite they quickly loose the flame. What do you think my problem is?
regards Sue
Expert:  Plumberpro replied 3 years ago.
Plumberpro :

Hi . do you mean that when you turn the rings off at the knob the gas is still coming through? It sounds like the gas ways in the innerknob housing are worn . I would get them replaced asap as gas letting by you don't want

Customer:

There is no gas coming through-only the light remaining on (when the knob is in the off position)-that is one light from a 5 light range that reflects the level of heat/size of the flame on the ring.If there was gas continuing to flow through the flame would, I assume, not extinguish immediately after ignition as happens.

Plumberpro :

Oh ok , sorry for the misunderstanding. In that case its the flame thermistors are faulty .easy enough to replace

Plumberpro :

Hi ,do you have the model number , usually starts ER

Customer:

Model is AEG 79852G

Plumberpro :

Sorry , I can find the manual so will have to opt out to let another expert come in

Expert:  Andrew Smith replied 3 years ago.
Does the knob feel like it closes fully, if it does then you may find that it is not springing all the way back out again, this will keep the light on.
Try removing the knob and cleaning it, the spring and trying again
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Have cleaned with inter dental brushes-very small so have got into the all the crannies -but no joy.

Yes the knob does feel like it closes fully, & I can't detect any difference between the fully functiong knobs and the problem ones.

Any other suggestions?

Hi . your hob has devices called thermocouplres . they are a flame failure device and if they do not sense flame then they will not allow the tap to stay open . they look like shiny metal probes sticking out into the flame . the other one is the sparker. Clean them to see if this helps other wise they will need to be replaced. Could you please rate me ok or better , thanks
Plumberpro, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Heating and hot water heating appliances experienced
Hi . if happy with your answer could you please rate ok or better , thanks