KevinWhiteJA
KevinWhiteJA, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Worked on appliances for more than 15 years
70193065

Hi, I have a whirlpool dishwasher 851108915000 and the water

Hi, I have a whirlpool dishwasher 851108915000 and the water hasn't drained from it this morning! It did a cycle, but I didn't hear the dryer cut in, it beeped to say it was finished, when I got around to opening it there was a big puddle of water in the bottom.
I've removed the filter and cleaned everything and also unscrewed a plastic plate which I removed cleaned and put my hand up around the edges of this hole under the filter and can't find a blockage? Any ideas what this might be or what I could do next?
Linda
Expert:  KevinWhiteJA replied 3 years ago.
KevinWhiteJA :

Hi Linda

KevinWhiteJA :

welcome to Just answer

KevinWhiteJA :

Please tell me its complete model number (starts with E nr)

KevinWhiteJA :

and how old is it ?

Customer:

Hi Kevin, DWH M10 W

Customer:

I don't know the age, I have lived with it for 6 months

KevinWhiteJA :

as you have already cleaned the drain pump and there were no blockages can you pull the unit out and lay it on its side by around 45 degrees so that still if there is any water inside it comes drains out....after this is done try a short cycle and let me know if the water is still in there...also check closely if the heater cuts in and if it completes the cycle

Customer:

I'm not sure I can pull the unit out, I may have to wait until later when my partner can help. Can I still contact you about this after today or does this service have a time limit?

KevinWhiteJA :

Yes you can contact me later....If you have further questions I will be pleased to assist you – please use the REPLY link for further assistance..Please remember to RATE my answer Excellent or Good Service when you are satisfied....Thanks

Customer:

I've just taken a look, the dishwasher is screwed into the worktop and I can't move the washer, I have drained all water out using a sponge though, should I have a go now?

Customer:

I mean running a cycle

KevinWhiteJA :

Yes please

Customer:

Ok shortest cycle is about 45 minutes, so I'll get back to you later, thanks

KevinWhiteJA :

Sure thanks

Customer:

Ok, hi I'm back, I've tried to run a cycle, but it rinsed once, then bleeped 3 times and did nothing else! What next?

KevinWhiteJA :

and can you open the door and see if the start light is flashing ?

Customer:

I opened the door and the rinse light is flashing and the 70 degree light is on

KevinWhiteJA :

ok and what about the Start light ?

KevinWhiteJA :

was it also flashing ?

Customer:

there isn't a start light

KevinWhiteJA :

Sorry I mean the power light

Customer:

there isn't one as such, when you press the on button the lights above the symbols light up, indicating which cycle you want to use

KevinWhiteJA :

ok and how many times does the Rinse light flash ?

KevinWhiteJA :

is it flashing in a set sequence or continuously...like 3 flashes pause then 3 flashes again pause and so on

Customer:

I went through each cycle button and it has now stopped flashing and just indicates the cycle chosen, so no flashing anymore

KevinWhiteJA :

ok, the flashing light indicates a error code...anyways have you also tried to clean the sump (black grid) located inside the right hand side when you remove the bottom basket

Customer:

No shall I do that now?

KevinWhiteJA :

Yes please do, you can also pour boiling water into the sump and then softly use a brush to clean the switch

Customer:

There is a grey plastic thing on the right hand side that looks a bit like a plughole in a sink, is that the sump?

KevinWhiteJA :

it seems that it is dirty as it should be black

KevinWhiteJA :

yes that should be the sump

Customer:

I'll give it a go, but it's not dirty, there are other bits of this machine of the same grey colour plastic!

KevinWhiteJA :

ok after you have done this please run cycle again and then count number of flashes...you can also select a drain cycle and see if it flashes again

Customer:

Ok, I've tried cleaning the sump, it's clear and I put a cycle on after about 2 minutes it's beeped 7 times very rapidly and is now continually flashing on rinse and the 70 degree light is on constant

KevinWhiteJA :

OK...7 beeps/flashes indicate flow meter failure. Flow meter is defective...Water inlet valve defect or water inlet hose blocked.

KevinWhiteJA :

Water inlet valve seems fine as it is filling fine

Customer:

Ok, so what do I do next?

KevinWhiteJA :

there is a small flow meter fitted to the fill matrix of the dishwasher....check if that is fine, if not then it will need replacement

Customer:

How do I check that please?

KevinWhiteJA :

With the appliance unplugged take the top and left side panel off...after this you will see a large plastic tank on the left...take of the small board with 2 wire plug and then plug it back again..blow some air to clean the electrical connections and then tighten it again...if this solves the problem then flow meter will nto need replacement..if the problem returns its more likely that you will have to replace the flow meter

Customer:

Ok, I'll see if I can work this out, as I mentioned before this dishwasher is screwed into the worktop, so may take a while to get out, thanks for your help, I hope this works!

KevinWhiteJA :

If you have further questions I will be pleased to assist you – please use the REPLY link for further assistance..Please remember to RATE my answer Excellent or Good Service...Thanks