Daniel
Daniel, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

I have an Amana side by side fridge freezer and the fridge

I have an Amana side by side fridge freezer and the fridge temperature has gone haywire, going down to -7 then slowly reversing.
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.

If you remove the baskets in the freezer in the lower half look on the back wall and see if theres any ice or frost on the back wall there and let me know.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No ice or frost on back wall
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.

Ok what you need to do if you can is empty the freezer section andremove the back panel inside the freezer.
From there you will see the evaporator. Check to see if this is blocked up with ice.

As when you get a fault with the freezer dropping down to arund -7 degs it can be down to air flow. A blocked evaporator can cause this.

If theres no ice on there then have a look at it and see if theres an even layer of frost all round the evaporator and let me know.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
So I have to unscrew all the back panels in the freezer?
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
Yes theres only a few screws that will be holding it on.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Don't have pliers small enough to unscrew the small nuts holding the freezer panels, neither does neighbour. Could the fluctuation in fridge temp be down to anything else before I attempt to take the freezer panels off tomorrow?
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.

It can be either a blocked evaporator with ice. But if thats ok then its possibley the compressor at the back. As these can fail on these appliances. The compressor part isnt a diy fix im afraid as it involves cutting the pipe work and letting the gas out. Then it will need to be regassed so this is a job for a fridge engineer.

But as to the evaporator. If you dont have the tools to remove the panel what you can do is empty the appliance and turn it offfor 24 hours and leave the freezer door open. This will allow the ice to melt in there. Then turn it back on and see how it goes. It it goes stright down to -18 and stays there then it was a blocked evaporator so should only take about 4 hours to get to -18 after turning it back on.

But if after this its still not working correctly then its possibley the compressor at the back at fault im afraid.