Daniel T.
Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

I have a Maytag side by side, model GZ2626GEKB, with a fault.

Customer Question

I have a Maytag side by side, model GZ2626GEKB, with a fault. From power on it works fine but some hours later it becomes warm.
Have researched some online and ascertained that both fans are working, the coils are clean, the compressor works (though possibly intermittently?), the defrost cycle can be run and the defrost thermostat has been checked for continuity.
There seems to be a possibility of main board failure but I have seen no way to check for this other than replacement. Is there something I can check, or diagnostics that can be run?
Or could it still be the thermostat? It's allowing the defrost cycle but can it cause it to run indefinitely, or is that all down to the board?
Or any other advice?
Kind regards, Andrew
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.

Ok these models dont have a diagonstic test cycle on them im afraid.

When it stops cooling if you remove the back panel and access the compressor is it running?
Is it hot to touch?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for answering, but, bizarrely, the fridge has not failed since I got in touch with you, after reliably not working for over a week.

I've read somewhere that leaving the fridge off for an extended period of over 4 hours will perform a hard reset. Not sure if there is any truth in that, but I did leave it off overnight before seeing your response. Could that have cured any possible problem, or is that just wishful thinking?

I'll let you know the state of the compressor if it does fail again.

Andrew

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.

Sometimes turning off for a few hours can allow the capacitors on the control board to discharge so it can actually cure an electronic fault.

But as to the fault fingers crossed its fine but if it does go off again just get back to me.

Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Daniel

It was wishful thinking unfortunately! There's a pool of water on the floor this morning.

Ever since you've asked about the compressor its been very warm or hot and the fan has been running. The fridge has appeared to be operating normally but clearly at some point in the night it's failed to the degree where the ice has melted and leaked onto the floor and no new ice has been made. Unfortunately I wasn't first to examine it today as the fridge is in a property we rent out. When I have checked though the compressor is hot, running and the fridge appears to be working.

Some curious details: The fridge fails at night; it's always appeared to be working normally during the day. I'm not certain but am thinking that once it's failed it stays failed until the door is opened at which point it works properly again. Does the door opening trigger a circuit or could it indirectly? It not failing during the day could then be explained by it being regularly opened.

When I said last time that the fridge had bizarrely been working I'm guessing that it wasn't but we didn't notice because I'd turned the water off to stop the overnight leak. Unless the problem can somehow be linked to the water supply?

Regards, Andrew

P.S. Where are you because it doesnt look like our time frames are similar and it would be nice to know when you might reply?

Hi Daniel, a further update:

Fridge failed with me present this time, or at least the compressor and fan stopped. I'd put both fridge and freezer settings to maximum (7) with the hope that something might happen quicker that way and this happened about three hours later. I left it for another hour to see if maybe it had just got to temperature and correctly switched off and would then come on again later, but it didn't. Compressor had by then cooled right down.

So I opened the freezer door, found that the compartment was warm, but instantly the compressor and fan kicked in and everything returned to correct operation mode.

So I'm currently thinking, the fridge gets cold, once it gets cold enough it cuts off the compressor (probably deliberately to save energy), but then doesn't switch it back on again when the temperature rises - unless the door gets opened.

So is there something that would explain all this, perhaps a new main board?

Andrew

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Daniel,

I only rated the response so far because I kept getting asked to do so. Not because my problem has been solved! And now I see the status is showing as 'Finished' and you haven't responded to my last message.

I was hoping to avoid ordering a new board until we'd established that it was definitely the cause of the fault, but I need a quicker resolution so have ordered one anyway.

Hopefully that will sort it out. I would still appreciate any thoughts, help or comments you may have though.

Regards, Andrew