Michael
Michael, Customer Service
Experience:  I have been an appliance repair tech for over 30 years and will help you solve your problems.
11519491

I have an induction hob E Nr 44T40N0/02 FD 9009. It was installed

I have an induction hob E Nr 44T40N0/02 FD 9009. It was installed in March 2011. It has an intermittent fault. Sometimes the hob works perfectly for 6 months or more though more recently the fault has come once every month or so. What happens is that on the left hand panel the display flashes 'U'. If I then try to use the right hand panel this start flashing a reverse '9' symbol. If I leave the hob for a period of time (can be a couple of hours or sometimes overnight), the fault disappears and the hob works perfectly again. The first time it happened I thought it was a low voltage problem so I called the local distribution company. They installed monitoring equipment for a period of 5 weeks during which time the voltage was perfect (I have a copy of their report). Also, there are no other indications which would make you think there was a voltage problem - no dimming of lights, no faults with other equipment etc. I don't know what do do. If I call out an engineer and it's working at the time he comes, how is he going to trace it? It happened again last night so I videoed the display panel to have record of the fault. Sorry this is such a long report but it's not easy to describe quickly. Can you help?
Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.
Hi sorry to hear that and please WE love long reports!
It helps us better solve the issue.
What you have is the main control board failing and it will need to be replaced.
Its easy to do if your a bit handy, also I will assist you from here as well:-)
This is a problem that over time will get worse,
The best to get a new replacement main board for cost and reliability is Espares.
I have included their contact info for you below. It is best to call them to order this part.
If you will rate my service to you thus far as ok or better, before closing this page, I will be able stick with you until this fixed.
Please note it won't cost you anything more to rate, and it WILL ensure your question won't time out or end unexpectedly, then you can always contact me the very same way at no additional cost;-)
Thank you and have a wonderful day!
Tech Michael
Sales
0844 9777 888
After sales
0333 4007 888
Monday to Friday 8am to 6pm, Saturday 9am to 4pm, or 10am to 4pm on Bank Holidays
Calls to 0844 numbers are charged at 5p per minute including VAT from BT landlines, other networks and mobile companies may vary.
Calls to 03 numbers are charged at a local rate.
For security and training purposes, telephone calls may be recorded or monitored.
Outside the UK? Call us on: +44 (0) 20 7717 5046.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi, to be honest I am a bit disappointed with your response. In essence you will have charged me £20 to tell me the hob needs replacing. The cost of the part including delivery is £247. The cost of installation is going to be about £100 giving a total of nearly £350. I could get a new replacement for just over £400. Sorry, I don't think your advice is good value.