Rob
Rob, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 yrs. experience with a major worldwide manufacturer.
14831508

Hi, I have a Bosch SMS63E02GB dishwasher which is presenting

Customer Question

Hi, I have a Bosch SMS63E02GB dishwasher which is presenting a fault code 'E17'.
The cycle starts and the machine runs for 2-3 mins and then switches to the fault code.
There is no excess water in the machine and the plumbing connections have not been disturbed. The waste discharges into a separate trap from the sink.
Is this a home repair or time for replacement?
Thanks. Allister Winter
Expert:  Rob replied 2 years ago.
Welcome, my name is ***** ***** I will be helping you with your problem today. If anything isn't clear, please just ask me.

This is normally an over filling problem

When this happens, if you open the door, is the water above the normal level?

Also, how old is this please?

Rob
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

When the door is opened there is no visible water. Just the normal level below the floor filters.

I am not sure of the age but it is over six years.

Expert:  Rob replied 2 years ago.
Hi Allister

If you start a new cycle now, does the drain pump run first, or does nothing happen at all, just the error?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

When the cycle is started it appears to be normal with the usual starting noises and the sound of water coming in. This continues for about 2 mins then the timer jumps to I min remaining and displays the fault code.

Expert:  Rob replied 2 years ago.
Great

OK, its one of two things, so try this

Where the inlet hose attaches to your house supply, will be a tap or lever. Turn this so that you reduce the flow of water into the machine. You can set it so its quite low.
Try the machine, does it fault again? It will take a bit longer to fill

Rob
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The cycle is running now beyond the previous time and no fault message yet.

I turned the Ballofix lever to about one third open.

Expert:  Rob replied 2 years ago.
Hi Allister

Thats great news

You may need to play about with the pressure a bit, but it ooks like that was the issue, so easily solved

Can I ask you to take a moment and rate my responses so far? Please use the smiley faces which you should now see. Please remember you are rating me personally, not the website or the problems you have had with this machine.
This will not close your question and you can still come back to me if you need more help
Rob

Rob, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 20 yrs. experience with a major worldwide manufacturer.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

As this has happened after many years of fault free service does it indicate some technical problem that will need a service call?

Expert:  Rob replied 2 years ago.
Hi Allister

I suspect that over times, parts have worn and tollerances become more "sloppy"

If you live in a hard water area, this will affect the water passages.
A slight increase in the mains water pressure will also result in this fault.

I would not be too concerned by this.

It should be happy working like this for the foreseeable future

Please dont forget to rate as this is the only way I get credit for helpng you today

Rob
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks Rob you have stopped the ear bashing form the boss!!!

Expert:  Rob replied 2 years ago.

Well, that alone has to be worth the cost of the question......lol

All the best

Rob