George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162

I have a siemens 9000 040 050 (8703) refrigerator. Water had

I have a siemens 9000 040 050 (8703) refrigerator. Water had gathered on the floor and damaged the wooden panel next to it. When I pulled it out from the unit, the water tray was full and contained lumps of mould. I cleared it and also cleared the drainage pipe inside the fridge. I have left the fridge out of the space where it is housed for two days now and there is lots of new water gathering and not evaporating. Do you have any ideas what is wrong?
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 2 years ago.
George-Allsorts :

Good morning .. I shall try to answer this query for you

George-Allsorts :

When your fridge is working correctly, condensation will form on the rear of the fridge wall during cooling... This condensation will trickle down into the tube/drain at the base of the back wall and down into the tray on the top of the compressor

George-Allsorts :

When the compressor is operating it creates heat, which in turn evaporates the water that has been collected during this process

George-Allsorts :

If a collection of water is not disapating from the bowl on top of the compressor fast enough before being filled further, there is a likly-hood that there is a problem with the seal on the door of your fridge cabinet or your fridge thermostat is not operating correctly

George-Allsorts :

Can you check the seal on the door for me and tell me if there are any gaps that would allow warm air past the seal into the fridge?

Customer: Seal is fine. Temperature display has been constant at 4 degrees.
George-Allsorts :

Has the fridge door been left open for any long periods of time?

Customer: No. I think there was a blockage in the drainage channel. But i have left the fridge out of its housing for the past 48 hours and I had emptied the tray but it is filling up again
George-Allsorts :

OK, can you remove everything from the fridge and, using a soft towel, clean all the condensation on the back-panel of the fridge then put everything back... Close the door of the fridge and try not to re-open it for atleast an hour.

Customer: Ok. What then?
George-Allsorts :

Whilst you are doing that.. also drain the water from the bowl so that you can then re-assess the speed at which it is filling, and disapating.

Customer: Ok. Do I get back to you later?
George-Allsorts :

Then by all means come back to me if that does not solve the problem.

George-Allsorts :

Then by all means come back to me if that does not solve the problem. You can come back to me at any time.

George-Allsorts :

Yes

Customer: Hi. So far there is no water build up. The black cylinder also feels hotter than before. I guess I should replace everything and see what happens next.
George-Allsorts :

Excellent... Problem solved.. This is what I wanted to see.

George-Allsorts :

One last test before I ask you to close this off

George-Allsorts :

Can you get a £banknote that has not too many creases in it, place it at the starting point (whereever you want to start), between the seal and the cabinet.... Now slowly move it all the way around the seal... If you find any spots where there is no resistance to the movement of the note then your seal requires changing, alternatively, we are sorted and I can ask you to reat me and close-off.

George-Allsorts :

*Rate* not 'reat'

Customer: Please could i wait to sign off to see about once the food has been back a while. I will do the bank note check
Customer: Hi
George-Allsorts :

No problem... Come back to me when you are ready to do so.. If the food has been out of the fridge for an hour then it should take another 2hrs to cool it properly. regards

Customer: water is gathering again and I have not yet put the food back.There was nothing until about an hour ago. There is resistance against the note all around. The drip tray has about 5mm of water in it and it is warm. Help!
George-Allsorts :

yet you say that the temperature inside the unit is constant at 4degs?

George-Allsorts :

Wait for about 2 hours ad you will be getting condensation as the cabinet cools, and then again as the cabinet cools the food

Customer: Ok will get back to you later
George-Allsorts : Ok
Customer: The amount of water in the tray at the back has remained the same. No worse, but also none has evaporated. The food has been back in for 2 hours. There is a lot of ice on the back wall. Temperature still reads 4 degrees.
George-Allsorts : Ok.. Now mop-up the water in the tray and you should be ok... It is normal to find some water in the tray.. The system usually manages to rid itself of the water, but you had exception circumstances which prevented it from doing so.
Customer: Ok I have dried the tray so will see what happens. Still lots of ice on back wall of fridge.
Customer: Ice melted and drip tray lots of water as expected. I dont know what usually happens as never watched it before! Have dried it again. Will see what happens overnight. Evaporation seems to be a problem.
George-Allsorts :

Ok .. Let me know what happens

Customer: Thank you
George-Allsorts :

I will await you news

Customer: Hi. There is the same amount of water in the tray that I cleared out yesterday evening. Will see f it evaporates during the day
George-Allsorts :

5mm?

Customer: No more than that. 10mm
George-Allsorts :

please get back to me later today to let me know how much more it rises

George-Allsorts :

also, does the compressor run for long before stopping?

George-Allsorts :

Hi, enough time has passed now to assess the level of condensation increase...

George-Allsorts :

How long did the compressor run before switching itself off?

Customer: Sorry, I was not home yesterday. This morning the water is approx 20mm deep. How do I know how log the compressor runs for? Temp still reads 4degrees.
George-Allsorts :

The compressor will switch on and run for a length of time then it will stop... The compressor is the black dome-looking object underneath the tray...

George-Allsorts :

when it switches on it may run for 2-3 mins, or it may take longer... Also, how warm does it get?

Customer: Hi, I have been monitoring it! The compressor has been getting hot approximately every 40 minutes . It is not burning hot, comfortable to touch. Similar to a radiator. Water level is still 20mm.
George-Allsorts :

Thanks for doing that, it is tedious I know, but I needed to get that information from you without putting it into your mind.. if you know what I mean..

George-Allsorts :

The problem with the appliance is that the refrigerant level is lower than it should be and as a result the compressor is having to work overtime to get it to the required temperature... because of this, there is ice/frost building up on the back-plate of the fridge and when the appliance internal temperature starts to rise this ice/frost melts creating far more water than normal.

George-Allsorts :

The answer to the problem: Re-gas the appliance

Customer: How do I organise that? Does it suggest a leak somewhere?
George-Allsorts :

What is the age of the fridge?

George-Allsorts :

2007?

Customer: Under 5 years
George-Allsorts :

OK.. there is a tiny internal leak, or, it was slightly short on gas when you bought it... this is not uncommon

George-Allsorts :

Ring any refrigerator repair company and they can do it for you.. usually costs around £35 - £45

George-Allsorts :

it is very similar to topping-up the coolant in your car air conditioning system

Customer: So who do I need to call in?
George-Allsorts :

A refrigeration repair company... There are many of them out there

George-Allsorts :

The procedure takes around 20mins

George-Allsorts :

Some appliance repair companies can do this for you too... just ask 'Do they do refrigeration'

Customer: Great thank you
George-Allsorts :

Feel free to come back to me if you have any problems

George-Allsorts :

Please don't forget to rate my service to you... Regards